Redirector software and Tape drives offline in Backup Exec

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 pm

solae wrote:Hello i have the same Problem with a Hyper-V 2012, and a Server 2008 R2 with Backup Exec 2012.

As a Workaround a set the Tape Drive 5 Minutes before the Backup to Offline and Back Online with a skript.
Copy these 3 Lines in a file called "SetTapeOnline.cmd" and start it via Task Scheduler 5 Minutes before Backup:

Code: Select all

CD\
powershell.exe -command "&{import-module bemcli;Get-BETapeDriveDevice  | Set-BETapeDriveDevice -Disabled 1}"
powershell.exe -command "&{import-module bemcli;Get-BETapeDriveDevice  | Set-BETapeDriveDevice -Disabled 0}"
This worked for me the last 4 Days.

You could also restart all services, but i don't know if this works and also Backup Exec Services tend to hang sometimes.
Have you tried that with release version of Tape Redirector I`m asking because we have updated the functionality of Tape export in the v8 that is on the beta testing starge right now, and you can try it out by signing for our beta testing program.
www.starwindsoftware.com/beta-testing-program
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
sashton

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks for the workaround.

I downloaded a new licenses for the V8 RC software and installed it last night, rebooted my 2008 R2 VM and the drives came back online. I will keep an eye on them and if they drop offline again, i will try your workaround.

Thanks again!!!!!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Cool. Please keep us informed about your progress. Thank you!
sashton wrote:Thanks for the workaround.

I downloaded a new licenses for the V8 RC software and installed it last night, rebooted my 2008 R2 VM and the drives came back online. I will keep an eye on them and if they drop offline again, i will try your workaround.

Thanks again!!!!!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software