Tape Redirection slow

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mblackmore

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi There

We are using your tape redirection software to share our tape library from a physical machine to a VM

The physical serer is Windows server 2008 SP1 64 Bit, Has dual quad core processors, 4gb ram and connected to the tape drive using a Dell Perc 5/e, The library is a DELL TL4000

The network connection to the physical machine is 2gb (teamed nics) and the network connection to the VMs is 10GB/s

The backup server VM is Windows server 2008 r2 64bit. When running a backup on this server it appears to be running at around 20MB/s roughly which is far slower than what I would expect.

Is anyone able to assist?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:44 pm

Start with removing LACP as that's what not supported with Windows iSCSI. In the best case you're not going to see any performance increase. Second what numbers do you hit when you run tape backup locally? Third did you apply any iSCSI optimization tricks we list?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Danielsmith12

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:26 am

We have the same issue, Tape Redirector is slow for us. What can we do to speed it up?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:44 am

I'd suggest to use our VTL and buffer I/O to disk and offload it to tape outside of the backup window. Going Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape instead of a Disk-to-Tape is really a way to go ;)

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwi ... pe-library

Good luck! ;)
Danielsmith12 wrote:We have the same issue, Tape Redirector is slow for us. What can we do to speed it up?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software