Tape Redirector Add Target - unable to add tape device

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

ot@networks.dk

Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:04 am

I just installed the latest Tape Redirector, redirector service on a host with tape library (server2012) and management on the client host (server2008r2).

Everything seems fine, except that when I run the Add Target wizard only the changer device is available afterwards. During the wizard it identifies the tape and seems to add it, but after finishing changer is the only device.

I can add the tape device manually to the target using the Add Device wizard, but still only the changer is shown in the iSCSI initiator on the client.

Changer is detected in device manager of the client, but no tape device.

Please advise.

Thanks, Oletho
ot@networks.dk

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:55 pm

I found a solution.

Creating the two devices with their own separate targets seems to solve this. At least they are both in device manager now. And I am able to do an inventory from DPM.

Thanks
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:05 pm

Does it mean everything works as expected or you'd like us to fix / improve anything? Selecting both devices with a single wizard etc?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

imabev

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:43 pm

I have the same exact setup and problem as the OP states in the first message in this thread, but I don't understand the solution. Do I create 2 devices on the Server 2012 host?
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:48 am

The solution here was to create two devices (OS should be WS2008r2 or WS2012r2) and each device should have dedicated target. Please try that out and let us know the result.

Thanks
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
imabev

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:48 pm

I figured it out and got tape redirector working perfectly. The problem I had was on my host *server 2012* I never had proper drivers installed for the medium changer. It showed as unknown medium changer. I updated the drivers and followed the instructions in the pdf http://www.starwindsoftware.com/images/ ... e_2011.pdf.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Excellent! Thank you very much for keeping us updated!
imabev wrote:I figured it out and got tape redirector working perfectly. The problem I had was on my host *server 2012* I never had proper drivers installed for the medium changer. It showed as unknown medium changer. I updated the drivers and followed the instructions in the pdf http://www.starwindsoftware.com/images/ ... e_2011.pdf.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software