Tape Redirector potential conflict with existing system

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

MrPatrick

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi, I have a Windows 2003 R2 32bit server running Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3.

Connected to that is an MSL 6030 with 2x Ultrium LTO4 drives, running on Symantec's drivers.

I have a requirement to connect a VM host running Veeam to the drives, and Tape Redirector appears to be the solution. What i am here to ask initially is:

* Are there any known conflicts with Tape Redirector & Symantec BE2010? Or with the Symantec drivers?
* Does Tape Redirector make any changes at driver level to the tape drives or the existing SCSI interface?

This is the production backup server which I hope to replace with Veeam, but I need to test the 'to tape' element of Veeam 7, which won't work on the existing server. I am hoping that an iSCSI connection will allow me to test what I need to do before making significant changes to the existing infrastructure.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:56 pm

1) There are no known conflicts with Symantec apps.

2) StarWind does not do anything with drivers. It's a user-land service.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

kbelzows

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:51 pm

Sorry to revive an old post but I seem to be having a conflict with the tape redirection of StarWind v8 on Windows 2008 server and Symantec NetBackup. I was able to install the Tape drives on my VM for use with Veeam Backup but in the process if StarWind services are running on the Symantec Media Server (direct connected to HP MSL4048 2 LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 Tape Library) then Sysmantec NetBackup can not use the tape drives. If I disable the StarWind services then Symantec NetBackup can properly access them.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:29 pm

You cannot use multiple apps accessing the same tape hardware @ the same time. So either you use tape locally or use redirector. So what you do is correct, StarWind closed also closes handle opened on a tape instance and then you can use it locally.
kbelzows wrote:Sorry to revive an old post but I seem to be having a conflict with the tape redirection of StarWind v8 on Windows 2008 server and Symantec NetBackup. I was able to install the Tape drives on my VM for use with Veeam Backup but in the process if StarWind services are running on the Symantec Media Server (direct connected to HP MSL4048 2 LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 Tape Library) then Sysmantec NetBackup can not use the tape drives. If I disable the StarWind services then Symantec NetBackup can properly access them.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

kbelzows

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks. I think that's what we'll have to do for the time being while we are testing out the new setup through StarWind tape redirection.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:55 pm

We'll do ON/OFF at some point to make life easier. I'll ask guys to add this feature.
kbelzows wrote:Thanks. I think that's what we'll have to do for the time being while we are testing out the new setup through StarWind tape redirection.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev