Problem with Tape redirector

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mik_iwg

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Hello,
we have a problem with Tape Redirector and an Hyper-V VM with DPM 2012 installed.
The problem is that through Tape redirector we have shared an HP Autoloader G2 1760 connected on a machine and is normally recognized by DPM.
The problem is that when we try to inventory or to clean all the tapes, the program fails.

We have tried to change registry key but DPM continue to fail.

Please help us!

Thank you to all!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Start with grabbing StarWind log on a failed attempt to do something and sending it to support@starwindsoftware.com zipped.
mik_iwg wrote:Hello,
we have a problem with Tape Redirector and an Hyper-V VM with DPM 2012 installed.
The problem is that through Tape redirector we have shared an HP Autoloader G2 1760 connected on a machine and is normally recognized by DPM.
The problem is that when we try to inventory or to clean all the tapes, the program fails.

Please help us!

Thank you to all!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Val (staff)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi!
mik_iwg wrote:Hello,

1) I found in your log files that the changer device from some point started to fail open retries with error 170 (ERROR_BUSY).
Are there any other applications or services on the StarWind host accessing the changer device at the time?

2) Please don't try to use StarPort with tapes and changers as it does not support them properly.

3) At the end of the last log file I saw that you had attached both changer and tape LUNs to the same target. This is the recommended way.
Have you tried the same scenario after that? Are there any changes?
Best regards,
Valeriy
mik_iwg

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:32 pm

1) No, there aren't other service or application that use tha autoloader at that time;

2) I've tried to use starport only for testing, now it's removed;

3) If i connect both device to the same target, the iscsi initiator only see the changer and not the tape drive.

Are there any tool for test if the iscsi initiator parameters are right? if yes, where can i download it?

Thanks for all!

Mik
mik_iwg

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Hello,
i've tried to share tape drive and autoloader with two different target and seems OK!

I'll give you a feedback tomorrow after the first complete backup.

See ya!
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 am

any update please?
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
mik_iwg

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:27 pm

Here i am!
So, as previously said, the "tape drive" and "autoloader" sharing, one for target, works without problem.

Now we have another problem. Installing Tape Redirector on another server, sharing autoloader, in the screen where we have to select associated tape drive of autoloader, the screen is completelt blank and we can't finish the configuration.

The hardware and software is the same type and model.
We had try to test the autoloader and drive through "HP Tape Tools" and works correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Mik
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:16 am

Hi,

OK, I think we found out where the problem is. I want to let you know that currently we are testing the new build/version of Tape Redirector and we will upload it to our website. Please let me know if you are interested in participation in beta testing of Tape Redirector.

---UPDATE---
I`m glad to update you with good news! The updated tape redirector was uploaded to the website, here is the download link:
http://starwindsoftware.com/tmplink/Sta ... 130131.exe

It is beta, but its pretty stable. I`ll ask people who is interested in installing it PM me and I will send you the license key for it.
Thank you
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
ryan.webb.jtd

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:09 pm

We are also experiencing this problem.

The backup software can blindly write to the tape. We can write to tapes but not inventory, calologue or restore from a tape.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Did you update the software by the link given above?
ryan.webb.jtd wrote:We are also experiencing this problem.

The backup software can blindly write to the tape. We can write to tapes but not inventory, calologue or restore from a tape.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

ryan.webb.jtd

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi,

We've not done the upgrade yet as the installation seems to be the installation for iSCSI SAN and not tape redirector. Also what do we need to do about a licence can we use the old one?

Thanks,
Ryan
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 am

Exactly - this link is to download the iSCSI SAN that contains fixes to your issue (theoretically). You can get the corresponding key if you will email to support@starwindsoftware.com
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
ryan.webb.jtd

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi Anatoly,

I’ve now installed and configured the software but unfortunately we are still experiencing the same issue, we can write to the tape but not inventory or catalogue, the job stays at a ‘queued’ status.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:40 am

Just want to let you knwo that we are working on it. We`ll get back to you guys as soon as we`ll have anything here.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm

UPDATE

Would you be so kind to send the StarWind log on the time of failed operation to support@?

Thank you
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com