Tape Redirector Issues

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Dias

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:37 am

I am evaluating the tape redirectorin our Test Environment.
The first one uses Hyper-V, and the scenario it to redirect a SCSI tape library through to a Microsoft DPM backup server running on Hyper-V. Approx 2TB full backup.

All Works Well.

I was doing a normall system state backup in DPM It took about 48 Minutes doing noting and then eventually started backing up system state backup which took about 20 minutes and compleetd backing up 9 GB

I then erased a tape in DPM and its taking ages to erase about more than an hour and If I do the same using CA Backup it takes 10 to 15 Minutes.

Please do let me know if there is any configuration that needs to be done.

Both the Machines are on a 1 GBPS switch.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 am

I have couple of clarification questions if you don't mind:
-will it be possible for you to provide us with the network diagram that took place for SW tape redirector and CA Backup?
-unfortunately I`m not too familiar with CA Backup, so I`d like to ask you if this is backup software or this is analogue of tape redirector? How exactly it was implemented and what its role?
-can you confirm that tape redirector is the only iSCSI software that runs on the host?
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:46 am

Create a RAM disk inside a parent partition with StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS, connect with an iSCSI initiator from inside a VM and run ATTO Disk Benchmark to verify how partent-to-VM cross speed performs.
Maybe it's an iSCSI-in-a-loopback issue and has nothing to do with tape @ all.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software