TAPE over iSCSI

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

marcello

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 am

I have some questions about connecting SCSI-Tapes with iSCSI

I installed one server with 6 SCSI Tape-Drives attached to it, Starwind Software as iSCSI Target and ARCServe 12.5 as backup solution

Now I have two other ARCServe servers I want to connect to this starwind server simultanously (for Disk to Disk to Tape backup) so that both servers see all tape drives of this starwind target server.

So I am a little bit confused creating the physical tape target : If I want to use all the tape drives on both servers should I check "Allow multiple concurrent iSCSI connections (clustering)" and which "local Access Mode" is to select?

Yesterday I tried to create one of this devices with clustering enabled and exclusive local access mode. Afterwards I was able to access the drives and format the tapes but when I formated the Tape on one of the servers I did not see the new lable of the tape on the other server - he still showed a blank tape

What did I wrong.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:44 pm

It's a very bad idea to multi-connect tape drives. Both ARCserve's (or any other tape backup apps) will break command sequence for each other. The idea of redirection means device is opened and shared on EXCLUSIVE basis. So physical tape drive DISAPPEARS from target node immediately on first connect from iSCSI initiator. And only ONE initiator could access redirected and iSCSI-ized tape drive at the same time. Does it sound reasonable for you?
marcello wrote:I have some questions about connecting SCSI-Tapes with iSCSI

I installed one server with 6 SCSI Tape-Drives attached to it, Starwind Software as iSCSI Target and ARCServe 12.5 as backup solution

Now I have two other ARCServe servers I want to connect to this starwind server simultanously (for Disk to Disk to Tape backup) so that both servers see all tape drives of this starwind target server.

So I am a little bit confused creating the physical tape target : If I want to use all the tape drives on both servers should I check "Allow multiple concurrent iSCSI connections (clustering)" and which "local Access Mode" is to select?

Yesterday I tried to create one of this devices with clustering enabled and exclusive local access mode. Afterwards I was able to access the drives and format the tapes but when I formated the Tape on one of the servers I did not see the new lable of the tape on the other server - he still showed a blank tape

What did I wrong.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software