Installing 5.3 requires Microsoft iSCSI Service???

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

adns

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:27 am

When installing 5.3 I get the message "Microsoft iSCSI service is required. Please install MS iSCSI Initiator to proceed with installation." Is this new? I don't ever recall needing this before.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:56 pm

Yes, this is new requirement for version 5.3 and all upcoming ones. We need it for iSNS and some background housekeeping. Should not be an issue as it's ALREADY INSTALLED on all of the modern server versions of Microsoft OSes (where we're expected to run actually).
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

that_kid

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:03 am

Yes it's installed but if you already had starport installed then it's set to manual. If this is a requirement then the Starwind 5.3 installation should mark the MS Initiator service as automatic and start it instead of throwing up an message that it's needed.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

It's done exactly this way in V5.4 but for V5.3 you have to do it "by hands".
that_kid wrote:Yes it's installed but if you already had starport installed then it's set to manual. If this is a requirement then the Starwind 5.3 installation should mark the MS Initiator service as automatic and start it instead of throwing up an message that it's needed.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

AgentDuke

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:50 am

This message pops up even with 5.4 and 5.5 installing on MSSRV 2008 R2 x64 even if the iSCSI service is installed, running, and set to automatic start. So the install cannot proceed. I imagine the detector for this is out of whack, even when run as admin and all that jazz.

hard stop = no install = no install I guess...?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:15 pm

MS iSCSI initiator service should be up and running. If we've failed to do validation we'll pop up this dialog. Check Windows Event Log, there should be message from MS iSCSI service why it failed to start. This should put some more light on the issue.
AgentDuke wrote:This message pops up even with 5.4 and 5.5 installing on MSSRV 2008 R2 x64 even if the iSCSI service is installed, running, and set to automatic start. So the install cannot proceed. I imagine the detector for this is out of whack, even when run as admin and all that jazz.

hard stop = no install = no install I guess...?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

AgentDuke

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:24 am

As long as we are talking about the same Microsoft service, it is started, no errors (the service is MSiSCSI (Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service)). I can even bring up the MS iSCSI initiator tool and browse other targets. So that pretty much means it's working =).

Again, this is Server 2008 R2 x64. But the StarWind installer keeps popping up this dialogue (tried it originally with 5.4 and then with 5.5 - neither success). Oh well.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:23 am

Kinda strange... Would you be so kind to send us installation log on request? If you don't mind techies will contact you.
AgentDuke wrote:As long as we are talking about the same Microsoft service, it is started, no errors (the service is MSiSCSI (Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service)). I can even bring up the MS iSCSI initiator tool and browse other targets. So that pretty much means it's working =).

Again, this is Server 2008 R2 x64. But the StarWind installer keeps popping up this dialogue (tried it originally with 5.4 and then with 5.5 - neither success). Oh well.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

fmunro

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:40 pm

I am having the same problem that AgentDuke described (except that I am running Windows XP and installing 5.6): the StarWind installer keeps insisting that I have MS iSCSI Initiator Service running and set to automatic, but I already have MS iSCSI Initiator Service running and set to automatic.

I tried restarting the MS Initiator Service, but the installer still requested that I have it running and set to automatic.

I looked at the event logs and found no applicable entry.

I looked for any kind of install log file created during this process but found none.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
fmunro

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 pm

I also tried stopping the Helper Service for StarWind iSCSI Initiator (StariSCSI), but his had no effect.
swInstall.JPG
swInstall.JPG (34.51 KiB) Viewed 11934 times
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:11 am

StarWind service should not install on top of Windows XP. XP is supported as a Management Console only. Check what your OS is and StarWind installation version numbers are. I guess you run outdated versions of both.
fmunro wrote:I am having the same problem that AgentDuke described (except that I am running Windows XP and installing 5.6): the StarWind installer keeps insisting that I have MS iSCSI Initiator Service running and set to automatic, but I already have MS iSCSI Initiator Service running and set to automatic.

I tried restarting the MS Initiator Service, but the installer still requested that I have it running and set to automatic.

I looked at the event logs and found no applicable entry.

I looked for any kind of install log file created during this process but found none.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

fmunro

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks, Anton. That is helpful, but disappointing information.

I am attempting to make tape drives available over iSCSI from a number of user machines, many of which are older like my XP. Does StarWind have any option that might make this possible?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:12 pm

You'll have to roll back to some old version. Please drop a message to support@starwindsoftware.com so we could try to find some solution for you.
fmunro wrote:Thanks, Anton. That is helpful, but disappointing information.

I am attempting to make tape drives available over iSCSI from a number of user machines, many of which are older like my XP. Does StarWind have any option that might make this possible?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev