Target for a real Tape Library possible issue

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

cbm

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:29 am

Hello,

I'm am trying your new version of starwind for a new client. We had success in the past using version 3.5 to pass a tape library (real) and tape drives on Windows 2008 server. That works flawlessly.

I'm now repeating the process with a similar setup. The only difference this time is the new version 5.2 of starwind (30-demo version). Still using a Windows 2008 server.

When adding a device, in this case a Storagetech SL500 with latest Sun drivers, the device does not appear at all. When I select a target under Optical Drive, or any other for that matter, it will not list the tape library at all.

I got a bit curious and loaded up the demo version of 3.5. It was able to add this device as an SPTI, calling it a changer.

Why is the tape library invisible with your new version but visible and accessible with an old one?

Of course I could be doing it wrong too. :) If this works it looks like we may be ordering a few enterprise versions. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Frank
CBM
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:41 pm

1) Yes, you can do the same with the 5.x branch of StarWind. With some tricks however (see 2 why).

2) There will be another product called "Tape Redirector" solving this task exclusively. We'll release it pretty soon that's why we did not care about tape sharing in the main app.

3) Version 3.5 is probably 3 years old... There's something I don't understand: you're using our software for 3+ years and still was not able to make up your mind do you want to buy it or not? How is it possible?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

cbm

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:46 pm

1) Great. We are interested in pushing physical tapes and libraries.

2) Do you have a time frame when Tape Redirector will be available? Very interested in this product.

3) Actually, we did purchase a copy of your StarWind 3.5 back in 2008. I believe it was under Rocket Division back then. It has worked flawlessly for us since then, pushing out a physical library and tape drives. It is for this reason we are looking into this product again as we migrate another client to virtual machines.

Thank You,
Frank
CBM
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:23 am

1) Excellent!

2) Sure! In 4-6 weeks from now we'll have StarWind iSCSI Tape Redirector RC ready. Do you want to take part in the beta test?

3) OK, thank you :)
cbm wrote:1) Great. We are interested in pushing physical tapes and libraries.

2) Do you have a time frame when Tape Redirector will be available? Very interested in this product.

3) Actually, we did purchase a copy of your StarWind 3.5 back in 2008. I believe it was under Rocket Division back then. It has worked flawlessly for us since then, pushing out a physical library and tape drives. It is for this reason we are looking into this product again as we migrate another client to virtual machines.

Thank You,
Frank
CBM
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

cbm

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:19 pm

Yes I would be very interested in participating in the beta. I'm right in the middle of testing right now so that should work out well.

Thanks
Frank
CBM
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 pm

Excellent! Please contact us support@starwindsoftware.com or fill Beta form accessible from the main menu :)) Thank you very much for your cooperation!
cbm wrote:Yes I would be very interested in participating in the beta. I'm right in the middle of testing right now so that should work out well.

Thanks
Frank
CBM
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev