Dell TL2000 LTO5 Library, Server 2012 R2, DPM 2012 R2

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

SethHTx

Thu May 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Host Server
I have my TL2000 pluged in to a 6gb SAS HBA on a Dell R720 running Windows Server 2012 R2
I have the latest version of Starwind 8.0.7929 installed
I have the Library configured in Starwind (Tape and Tape Changer)

DPM Server
DPM 2012 R2
iSCSI connection established to the other server and Library + LTO drive show up in Device Manager

Issue: I can run an inventory successfully. I can't back up. I first get an error
  • *Library drive IBM ULTRIUM 5 HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE in IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library is not functioning and library jobs may fail until the drive is repaired. The drive is not functioning for the following reason:
    (ID 3303)
    *The drive is in an unexpected state. DPM will not use the drive until it is rectified or replaced. (ID 32574)
If I try to create a backup to tape, I get an error
  • DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID 24052)
I have tried changing the registry settings for the SPTI mode, etc... Still a no-go. Tape library is in a healthy state (does not need cleaning).

This library does come with 2 different types of drivers. An Exclusive Driver and a Non-Exclusive driver. In the past (before trying to virtualize the DPM server and connect via iSCSI) I always had to use the non-exclusive driver to get DPM to work. Is there a special combo to get this to work with Starwind? (e.g. Exclusive on host and Non-Exclusive on DPM, Exclusive on both, Non-Exclusive on both, etc..) Any ideas on what to try or do?

Per driver help file
install_exclusive.exe:

install_exclusive.exe should be used by applications (such as Tivoli Storage Manager)
requiring the driver to issue automatic reserves on open and also preventing multiple
open handles from a host to a drive to exist at the same time.

Note: This option replaces the previous default installation of install.exe.
This is the installer required for failover feature to work.

install_nonexclusive.exe:

install_nonexclusive.exe should be used by applications (such as Microsoft Data
Protection Manager or Microsoft Removable Storage Manager) permitting multiple open
handles from a host to a drive to exist at the same time.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu May 07, 2015 9:54 pm

1) We'll need StarWind logs from machine hosting your tape drive.

2) We'll need exclusive access. We don't want multiple open handles (actually you don't want them).
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

SethHTx

Wed May 13, 2015 2:47 pm

:oops:
Facepalm moment. It wasn't working because I cleaned the drive during the re-cabling and forgot to remove the cleaning tape from the drive. It's working now.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri May 15, 2015 4:42 pm

At least you got guts to confess in public :) That costs a lot! Thank you!

P.S. Please see PM and e-mail.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software