MS DPM and StarWind VTL Free

StarWind VTL, VTL Free, VTL Appliance

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Ocg

Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:25 pm

We've been running MS DPM and VTL Free for a while now with no problems. After this weekend I noticed that in the Tape Library section of DPM I was no longer seeing the 4 Tape Drives from the Library, but I could see all of the tapes. I found some resources that advised shutting down the DPM services and running the DPMDriveMappingTool.exe to potentially resolve this. When I try to run this I receive a message that the utility is running a Device Inventory, and it fails shortly after starting it with a message "Tape Drive \\.\Tape2147483639 is full, Please Remove the media from All the Drives and rerun the tool"

When looking at the StarWind Management Console I do see the tape drives listed as having tapes in them. Being new to this software I wasn't sure how to "move" the virtual tapes so I went ahead and ran the RemoveVirtualTape PowerShell script. I was able to remove the tape in the first drive and last drives, but I get an error when trying to remove the tapes from Drives 2 and 3. When I run this PowerShell script I get "200 Failed: invalid parameter value.."

The only change to the script I've done is for the $slotAddr=X section. When I put 1 and 4 in there it ran with no problems, but if I put 2 or 3 I get the error above. Am I doing something incorrectly or is there another method I can try to move/remove these tapes?

param($addr="127.0.0.1", $port=3261, $user="root", $password="starwind", $deviceName="vtl2", $slotAddr=2)
Ocg

Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:16 pm

In case anyone stumbles upon this. I did manage to get the remove command to work after restarting the StarWind services.

Then running the DPM command worked with no issues, and then I was able to add those virtual tapes back to open locations.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:12 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience!