Using the StarWind VTL in Your Veeam Lab

StarWind VTL, VTL Free, VTL Appliance

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

neilmurphy

Wed May 09, 2018 4:20 pm

I've written up a blog post on how to get the StarWind VTL free version working in a virtualised Veeam 9.5 lab. I'd be interested in what people think. Have a look here https://univirt.wordpress.com/2018/05/0 ... veeam-lab/
Boris (staff)
Staff

Thu May 10, 2018 8:42 am

Neil,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community. Hope this reading will help other members.
vtlnew

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks for the post and directions. It doesn't appear you can use FTL free to create a library though, only manage one that has already been created. I don't think you can use FTL free as you have described. You would need a free trial of the product to create, then could use the Free version to manage.

The problem is if something happens you would need a trail again to setup.

I was using the trail product for a bit, noticed it wasn't working correctly and want to start over. The free version wouldn't allow me to recreate my test, just FYI.
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:54 am

Actually, you can manage with the help of StarWindX library.
You can find the samples of the scripts here and modify according to your needs: "C:\Program Files\StarWind Software\StarWind\StarWindX\Samples\powershell".
neilmurphy

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:08 pm

Actually I was using the free version. It comes with license that allows you to do configuration but after 30 days the GUI reverts to a "monitor only" mode. I start by creating multiple libraries so I can experiment with backup jobs that span libraries.

I'm sure if you were stuck and needed to reinstall at some stage StarWind could be convinced to issue another free-version license ;-)
Boris (staff)
Staff

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Since than, StarWind Management Console functionality has changed a bit. Now, it offers unlimited monitoring capabilities, but cannot be used to create or manage anything from day 0. For managing the setup, PowerShell is required.
As for licensing, this is probably something to be discussed with the account managers.