Using tape on server 2012

StarWind VTL, VTL Free, VTL Appliance

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

cadrian

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:42 am

Hi,
Just installed the software and created a virtual tape device. Using iSCSI from another server (2012 server) I connected to the target but can't seem to make it work; I'm using DPM 2012. If I open Device Manager I can see the tape drives but also Unknown Medium Changer devices which have some drivers problems. Do you know where I can find these drivers? Or am I doing something wrong here ?
See attachement

Thanks
Attachments
2014-07-17_9-41-27.gif
2014-07-17_9-41-27.gif (8.68 KiB) Viewed 9743 times
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:46 am

Are you using virtual tape library or tape redirector functionality? If you use TP then you need to use the same driver set you used on host with your tape attached to. If you use VTL then just do "driver update" and Windows will find appropriate driver set using Internet.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

cadrian

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 am

I'm using VTL so I can test a Microsoft DPM 2012 stuff. I already tried using the update from internet but is not working, it says that it could not find an updated driver. I tried going to Hp and using some of their drivers, and DPM can see some of the virtual tapes but can't write on them; so the drivers are not good. I mean...how can you release something that is only partially working ? I don't want to criticize but I think this is pretty lame. In V6 at least we had some drivers support from you.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 pm

1) The whole idea behind supporting standard (ones having drivers in default Windows setup) tape loader was to avoid shipping any drivers at all. In your case something is broken so please start with sending zipped StarWind log to support@starwindsoftware.com and we'll proceed.

2) V6 had no VTL
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software