Error on Symantec Backup Exec 2010

StarWind VTL, VTL Free, VTL Appliance

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Bermin

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Dear Support,

When am trying to run a backup job using symantec backupexec 2010 , I got the error as I posted below. I have three stawind tapes configured on a 1 TB External USB drive, Each drive is configured for 300GB in size,

* Also While restarting the server the USB is not detecting and I have to unplug and replug it again to the same port, then only it is showing my external drive in the disk management.

* Two days back, the backup ran successfully, But the elapsed time for 40 GB taken 17 hrs with verification.Strange it is, 90 MB ate 1.5 hrs. Why it is?

*If Everything is perfect ,it is giving error sometimes as follows

Job name : backuptest1-drive03
Job type : BackupJob
Job log : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEX_DCPLANT01_00071.xml
Server name : DCPLANT01
Selection list name : backuptest1-drive03
Device name : StarWind 0003
Target name : StarWind 0003
Media set name : Overide Media
Error category : Backup Media Errors
Error : e00084cd - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33997

Can you give a solution for that? am ready to check all possiblities...plss
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:55 pm

1) Make sure your USB disks are configured as 2.0 and not 1.1 (BIOS or drivers settings). That's pretty easy to check. Run say ATTO Disk Benchmak. Properly configured USB 2.0 storage stack should give you around 50 megabytes / second. If you have less it's a red light to continue.

2) When StarWind does not detect your USB device can you see this device in the system as writable disk? If yes it's StarWind problem and we'll proceed with figuring out where exactly. If no - it's not StarWind issue I'm afraid...

3) When you're getting listed errors can you grab, zip and send us back zipped *StarWind* logs? So we could find out what's wrong. Very much appreciated...

Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Bermin

Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:12 am

Dea Anotn,

Thanks for your reply,

1) I tested with ATTO disk and the last 5 values are as below

Write Read
325237 40005
32537 39827
32225 40005
32458 40005
32498 39945

2) The USB drive is the latest one from WD

WD My passport essential SE
USB 3.0 3x faster than USB 2.0

3) I connected a Segate USB 2.0 HDD in the same port and restart the server and checked, its taking automatically. But this 3.0 not detecting automatically, once I remeved and reconnected then only it is showing under my computer. But the sametime my tape drives configured in USB 3.0 are not showing in the device manager. To get this I had to stop starwind service and start, then only it is coming under device manager.

4) After finishing this steps I checked my Symantec test job, it was showing error like no physical media, so I restarted all symantec services then it was recognising tapes but erroring like Error : e00084cd - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

These all confusing me and am struggling to find where the problem is, Hope its belongs to USB 3.0,
Is Starwind supports USB 3.0?

Which adress I should mail log files?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:41 pm

1) Your test results suck :( 32 MB/sec write speed is the number being in the middle of the nowhere... I guess we see bus limitation so consider using different DAS attach method compared to what you use now.

2) And what port do you use on your main board to connect your USB 3.0 device to? Real USB 3.0 or generic 2.0? Dedicated USB 3.0 controller? Which one? Clarification required.

3) Again the question from above... Do you have properly configured USB 3.0 stack? Or do you use evil mix of 3.0 storage hardware and 2.0 ports? Who's drivers provider?

4) "Is Starwind suppports USB 3.0?" There's nothing special we need to support. You just need to make sure you have properly working storage stack. From what I see you *don't* and it looks like it's not StarWind issue.

5) support@starwindsoftware.com I guess.

Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software