VTL Target for some reasons in "non active" state

StarWind VTL, VTL Free, VTL Appliance

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

tbu

Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:41 am

For some reason it can happen that a VTL target is falling into the "non active" state showed in the STARWIND
management console under the device "State" column. Then a iSCSI connection from the initiator is no more possible.
The initiator showes "inactive devices" (in German).

The console also doesn't show anymore the mounted *.vtl file name.

This happens from time to time after reboot of the PC containing STARWIND software. Definetily it happens always
when you stop and restart the STARWIND service for some reason.

How can the configured target simply be set back into the active state ?

Environment:

STARWIND Enterprise (VTL) 5.4.1608
WIN7 32 bit

Best regards

Thomas Burchard
Max (staff)
Staff

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 am

Hello Thomas,
Actually Windows 7 is not supported for running StarWind in a production environment,
My recommendation will be reviewing the services your server runs. It can happen that StarWind service starts earlier than the vtl file becomes available. This can happen if you're using a NAS or you have a RAID which starts in the end of the system boot.
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
tbu

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Hello Mr. Kolomyeytsev

thanks for reply.

Unfortunatedly I asked your sales person by email (Sept. 23rd, 2010 to Tatiana Gusarova) whether WIN7 is suported while purchasing STARWIND and the answer was there is no problem with WIN7 or any other MS OS. Today with new PC's only WIN7 or also the actual server OS (w2k8 R2 64 bit only) is available from Microsoft nothing else.

I am happy to be able to provide from my software museum w2k3 R2 32 bit or XP SP3 32 bit to install on this recent purchased PC for STARWIND.
What is better?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:27 pm

StarWind is a server-side software so it is expected to run under and mainly tested under server OS environments. While technically it's possible to run it under non-server OSes (like Windows 7 for example) such an scenariousare not recommended for production use.
tbu wrote:Hello Mr. Kolomyeytsev

thanks for reply.

Unfortunatedly I asked your sales person by email (Sept. 23rd, 2010 to Tatiana Gusarova) whether WIN7 is suported while purchasing STARWIND and the answer was there is no problem with WIN7 or any other MS OS. Today with new PC's only WIN7 or also the actual server OS (w2k8 R2 64 bit only) is available from Microsoft nothing else.

I am happy to be able to provide from my software museum w2k3 R2 32 bit or XP SP3 32 bit to install on this recent purchased PC for STARWIND.
What is better?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software