Add Device option disabled (grayed-out)

StarWind VTL, VTL Free, VTL Appliance

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bfranklin78

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:31 pm

After installing StarWind Free the "Add Device" and actually all the "Add" device related options are not enabled.
I have also noticed that the "StarWindNVMeoF" service is not running and will not start. Fails with "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly"
Also get a DistributedCOM System Log error "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID "
Boris (staff)
Staff

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:40 pm

Since the previous build, you are no longer able to use your StarWind Management Console to create devices with StarWind VSAN Free, as you have the console in "read-only" (monitoring) mode. The whole setup should be managed using PowerShell via the StarWindX module provided as a component with each StarWind VSAN installation.
As for StarWindNVMeoF, it is expected to be stopped. You can ignore this.
bfranklin78

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks, the doc's I've been using don't mention that. I see StarWindX Powershell & StarWindX Powershell (x86). Does It matter which?
Boris (staff)
Staff

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:18 pm

Usually, the 64bit version is used, i.e. the one with no x86 in its name.
raphaf2001

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 am

No company is required to give away software for free, and I am very thankful for the amount of functionality that Starwinds provides as is, but, may I suggest that your documentation, and most importantly the "free" version documentation clearly indicates what can and what cannot be accomplished with the "free version" (A.K.A. crippled)? I wasted a couple of days trying to figure out what I had done wrong only to find these threads explaining that the functionality is restricted in the "free version", which, if I remember correctly, when I downloaded, indicated that it was a "fully functional version", which it obviously is not. Just my two cents guys. Thanks for reading. Raphael
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 pm

OK, I think we took this conversation off-line.

P.S. Please check your inbox. You should have something from me & Bogdan.
raphaf2001 wrote:No company is required to give away software for free, and I am very thankful for the amount of functionality that Starwinds provides as is, but, may I suggest that your documentation, and most importantly the "free" version documentation clearly indicates what can and what cannot be accomplished with the "free version" (A.K.A. crippled)? I wasted a couple of days trying to figure out what I had done wrong only to find these threads explaining that the functionality is restricted in the "free version", which, if I remember correctly, when I downloaded, indicated that it was a "fully functional version", which it obviously is not. Just my two cents guys. Thanks for reading. Raphael
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software