Problems with V8 and VMware 5.0

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

liquidkristal

Thu May 08, 2014 8:01 pm

So on my test platform, I had a few VM's running nicely in Starwind v5, I figured it was time to try out V8

All installed nicely, the old images came online, lovely and simple, added a bit of L1 cache and things were looking good.

I left it overnight, all the VM's had hung, and anything involving the iSCSI system on vmware damn near kills the server (Dell PE1950, 16GB Mem, Broadcom Nics with iSCSI Offload)

If I reboot the ESXi box all is good for a bit, is this a known problem, or is it back to V6 for me
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu May 08, 2014 8:59 pm

V8 is not released yet so make sure you 1) post to the beta forum (NP, I'll move the thread) 2) include StarWind logs as you don't tell anything about your config making us to GUESS what's there (undoable) and 3) don't use RC or Betas for production.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

liquidkristal

Sat May 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Ok, bit of a break through on this one.

There does seem to be an issue with ESXi 5.0 (no updates, just plain old 5.0).

in starwind there is nothing logged, the last thing logged was the ESSX5.0 host connecting to the starwind system, then nothing.

But it nukes itself after a few hours, anything involving iSCSI takes around 2 hours to time out, the whole system goes unresponsive.

Got it calmed down after around 6 hours, updated to esxi 5.1 and it is lovely and stable again (and faster thanks to the L1 system)

I can try to get the logs out if you want, (it appears to be a VMware issue, so not sure if you want to look at that one)

Cheers

Mike.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun May 11, 2014 2:46 am

If it's fixed by VMware patch then there's no need to bother yourself with submitting any logs (we appreciate your efforts either way however). Upcoming V8 would be certified for VMware ESXi 5.5 so running anything below would be "at your own risk".

Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software