HA Device with L2 cache

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

jcrowe

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:26 am

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if the question has been asked before, but is it possible to use L2 cache with HA device? I have 2 servers with matching fusionIO cards that I would love to create an HA device on. Unfortunately, without the L2 cache, performance is less than optimal, meaning that I have to keep high IO VM's (important) on non-HA setup.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Sure you can do that just fine.
jcrowe wrote:I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if the question has been asked before, but is it possible to use L2 cache with HA device? I have 2 servers with matching fusionIO cards that I would love to create an HA device on. Unfortunately, without the L2 cache, performance is less than optimal, meaning that I have to keep high IO VM's (important) on non-HA setup.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

jcrowe

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:20 am

I was able to create an HA drive out of an existing drive that had L2 cache. I selected the option to create a partner device using the existing device as a template, and it created it without the L2 cache. Is there something I missed, and more importantly, is there a way to add the L2 cache to the partner device now without recreating everything?
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:13 pm

We'll add default storage pool for L2 cache soon.
Right now it is possible to do:
1) Create virtual hard disk with l2 cache on the first StarWind server.
2) Create virtual hard disk with l2 cache on the second StarWind server.
3) First StarWind server: righ click on the device, select replication manager, add replica, synchronous, specify the address of the second StarWind server, on the "Partner device setup" step choose "Select existing device" and use the previously created device with l2 cache.