LSFS, whats best practice

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

hste

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:54 am

What is best practise on building a new san for homelab testing?
I'm going to test this new version with lsfs in a vsphere environment. Should I use a volume or raw disk for a device?
I'm thinking on setting up a hw raid10 with four 2TB disks, but I guess if using rawdevices it will be best with setting up smaller raidgroups.

hste
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:14 pm

1) Use a volume with NTFS on it. We do access disk in pass-thru mode so there's no FS overhead. However it's easier to relocate StarWind images from volume-to-volume so we don't recommend RAW with StarWind. At this moment LSFS cannot use RAW volumes (not with the build you have access to).

2) RAID10 is not recommended with LSFS. LSFS a log-structured file system with a built-in strong hashes and is assumed to be used clustered. So:

RAID0, RAID5 or RAID6. We don't have issues with read-modify-write nature of parity RAIDs and we do use full bandwidth of a RAID0. Also thanks to being clustered we do mirror multiple RAID0 volumes doing RAID 0+1 so there's no potential data loss.
hste wrote:What is best practise on building a new san for homelab testing?
I'm going to test this new version with lsfs in a vsphere environment. Should I use a volume or raw disk for a device?
I'm thinking on setting up a hw raid10 with four 2TB disks, but I guess if using rawdevices it will be best with setting up smaller raidgroups.

hste
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software