another Feature Request list?

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

fbifido

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:52 pm

fbifido wrote:URGENT !!!!

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/ ... tml#p19921

Can i request a few features :
if any feature does not make any sence, my bad.

Please add these Features to your product, as a button or a menu item:

1) Send Beta Log (betalogs@xxxxx.xxx) for the beta version
2) Send log file (support@xxxxxx.xxx) for the finish version
3) Repair/check/scandisk lsfs device <--- This is a needed function (if possible)
4) mount/unmount lsfs device <------- this is a must (please make it happen)
5) Please add dedup & auto-defrag to FLAT device <--- would be nice( this would be THICK LSFS)
x) Any Other commands that can be use on lsfs devices

6) Have an option to create a temp lsfs disk LUN to do speed test and creaste a client side software to do the test from within a VM or on any hypervisor. client side test software for xp, vista, win2k3/2k8/2k12, win7/8 and does I/O test. CREATE A GUIDE ALSO.

7) same as "6" but with lsfs RAM LUN. use same client side software. ALso have the option to see what the perf. is with the starwind feature on or off.

8\) check for UPDATE, as a menu item, in managemt software. Must do live-update/patching

9) We need a little more info on how the starwind iSCSI SAN service consume memories, like what settings affect how must memory is to be used & how these settings affect perf., Can we calculate the max needed... etc ....
Vitalii (staff) wrote:When the new LSFS device is created it does not use all needed memory. Memory usage grows as device is filled with data.
Maximum size restriction is based on the assumption, that there should be enough memory to support 100% full device. Until that, it does not use additional memory, so it is still available for the system.

That is why, you are able to create multiple devices of smaller size, but are not able to create single large device.

Vitalii

10) Can you make the software knows the speed of disk that it will use to create the lsfs files. and make the Statistical info part of the core-back-bone, as in:
it knows the speed of things, HD, RAM, NICS, CPU
it knows the speed of transit, Data-In, Data-out, Data-dedup, Data-to-HD, Data-from-HD, time-of-each-Data-path, bottle-neck-of-Data
It knows about time, time-to-complete each action, time everything.
11) I see with the newer version of v8 that a few option have gone missing, and you have default to 4K, but I always use 8K, because I am testing with ESXI 5.5. It would be nice if you put an option for Hyper-V as 4K and ESXI as 8K.

12) re feature 4 above, can you add the option to mount as Read-Only?

more to come or repeated !
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Not sure what you mean. Where did you find ESXi support 8KB native blocks for hard disks? VMFS5 uses 1MB blocks and 8KB sub-blocks but access is still 4KB granular.

Read-only would be possible (actually it would be still Read-Write but all writes would be discarded, that's to make file systems happy).
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software