StarWind iSCSI SAN Version 8.0 Beta-3

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:34 pm

turkina wrote:
Bohdan (staff) wrote:
turkina wrote:Is it still a requirement to only update to the latest beta build from v6 and that updating to the latest beta build from a previous beta build could fail?
It is not a requirement. It is warning. Due to changes/fixes related to vendor/product, serialId and eui-64 identifier there is possibility of datastore disappearance and and necessity to manually re-add them.
v6 to v8b3 (6345 or later) should work fine for all device types.
LSFS device update should work fine in v8b3 (6383 or later).
What if we're not using LSFS and only image files? Then is an upgrade from beta2 to beta3 safer?
yes
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:12 pm

sbozhko wrote: Thanks! With the new build I have successfully created LSFS volume on a large partition!
But I noticed a small problem. When I create a L2 cached volume, Add Device Wisard is always named cache img-file "L2Storage1.img", regardless of what I have in the Wisard (swdsk-file named correctly). Respectively, it is impossible to create the next volume with L2 cache on one partition (without manual .swdsk corrections).
Are you sure? Each time I create new LSFS device with L2 caching it generates new default name for L2 cache image. So yes, right now it generates the default names which do not match the virtual disk name (this is known issue and will be fixed soon), but each time it generates new name.
What are the steps to reproduce the problem with impossibility to create the next volume with L2 cache?
sbozhko

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:48 am

Bohdan (staff) wrote: What are the steps to reproduce the problem with impossibility to create the next volume with L2 cache?
In attachment - screenshots with this problem.
Attachments
LSFS_With_L2_Cache.zip
Step-by-Step Screenshots
(79.72 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
fbifido

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi,

How can I try to remount a failed mount lsfs lun?
I don't see an option to try again, or do a repair on the lun to see what cause it.

After a little search, I found the problem or cause,

I created a 800GB LSFS LUN on my drive E: in a directory call VMDisk, then I format it from ESXI as VMFS5, the file size of that directory at that time was 80GB with about 9 .spspx files, I have then put one VM on it, this VM is using a 80GB HD. I was using the previous version of iSCSI-SAN v8.0.6345. I then installed v8.0.6383. At this time I did not check to see what the problem was, but now after restarting my SAN, and see that it still failed to mount.
I check my Drive E: to found that I was running out of disk space, ??????????????????????????, impossible I say, because I should have 2TB Free.
I did not see any new files on my E: drive until I look inside the VMDisk directory, that's the directory that has the failed LUN, anyway is has 735 .spspx files and was 1.8TB in size.

WTF, HOW, WHY, !!!!!

So I knew that it had only 9 spspx files so I deleted the others, since there is no way to do a repair or re-mount, I restarted my SAN.
All those files I deleted came right back.

How can a 800GB non-dedup LUN, use up 1.8TB of disk space?
Is there a way to recover this LUN, so that I can get access to the VM and copy it to another LUN or disk?

http://i60.tinypic.com/wj8fw7.png
vmdisk1-error1.png
vmdisk1-error1.png (89.46 KiB) Viewed 8164 times

http://i57.tinypic.com/124elxz.png
vmdisk1-error2.png
vmdisk1-error2.png (91.14 KiB) Viewed 8165 times
Vitalii (staff)
Staff

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:15 pm

Please, send me StarWind logs for failed mounting attempt.

Also, what was the workload for this device?
fbifido

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Vitalii (staff) wrote:Please, send me StarWind logs for failed mounting attempt.

Also, what was the workload for this device?
It was a EnterpriseCA VM with Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter 4GB RAM and 80GB HD. WORKLOAD ?!?!?!?!?!

how do I send the logs?
Where to look for workload in iSCSI Manager?

hope this work, attaching logs: failed max size 256KiB, that is real FUNNY :(

ok, link to logs: https://mega.co.nz/#!945lQJJI!nf1w-CUIw ... IiPXayXSY8
fbifido

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:25 pm

How can I set the LSFS LUN to use 8K for ESXI, it seems to be fix at 4K?

I found this post from long ago:
Vitalii (staff) wrote:You may try opening the needed LSFS device as read-only, so you will be able to read all the data from it.

To do this, edit the .swdsk file of that device. It has an XML format.
find the following line:

Code: Select all

<mode>1</mode>
and replace it with

Code: Select all

<mode>2</mode>
then try to mount this device, it should be mounted as read-only.
I will try it to recover my VM.

I will report back.

Update:
The LSFS LUN is now load as Read-Only in iSCSI Manager.
I can now the see LUN in ESXI when adding back the LUN to esxi, but it is not seeing the file system, because esxi is asking me which format I want to use VMFS5 or VMFS3, and because it's read-only it can't format it, which is good and bad at the same time.
My objective it to recover a VM from this LUN, any help is welcome.
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:43 am

fbifido wrote:Hi,

How can I try to remount a failed mount lsfs lun?
I don't see an option to try again, or do a repair on the lun to see what cause it.

After a little search, I found the problem or cause,

I created a 800GB LSFS LUN on my drive E: in a directory call VMDisk, then I format it from ESXI as VMFS5, the file size of that directory at that time was 80GB with about 9 .spspx files, I have then put one VM on it, this VM is using a 80GB HD. I was using the previous version of iSCSI-SAN v8.0.6345. I then installed v8.0.6383. At this time I did not check to see what the problem was, but now after restarting my SAN, and see that it still failed to mount.
I check my Drive E: to found that I was running out of disk space, ??????????????????????????, impossible I say, because I should have 2TB Free.
I did not see any new files on my E: drive until I look inside the VMDisk directory, that's the directory that has the failed LUN, anyway is has 735 .spspx files and was 1.8TB in size.

WTF, HOW, WHY, !!!!!

So I knew that it had only 9 spspx files so I deleted the others, since there is no way to do a repair or re-mount, I restarted my SAN.
All those files I deleted came right back.

How can a 800GB non-dedup LUN, use up 1.8TB of disk space?
Is there a way to recover this LUN, so that I can get access to the VM and copy it to another LUN or disk?

http://i60.tinypic.com/wj8fw7.png
vmdisk1-error1.png

http://i57.tinypic.com/124elxz.png
vmdisk1-error2.png
R&D and QA guys are checking what's wrong. I'll let you know about the results ASAP.
You should never delete any virtual disk related files manually.
Delo123

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Found a small bug i think. When selecting multiple devices in Target overview and trying to delete them,
only the first device will actually be deleted.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Thank you for reporting we'll check this out!
Delo123 wrote:Found a small bug i think. When selecting multiple devices in Target overview and trying to delete them,
only the first device will actually be deleted.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:37 am

R&D report the bug as FIXED. FYI.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

silentstorm

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:47 am

Hello, my beta license for 8.0.6132 will expire in 10 days or so.

What should I do?

Thanks!
Delo123

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:22 pm

When i "delete" a Device, the .spsp Files will actually be kept on disk. I suppose this is by design, so no "oops!".
Anyway, i would than expect to be able to add the device again "add existing device to target",
but in the mount device dialog there's nothing to choose / browse.

What's the correct way to delelte or better unmount and remount (maybe after moving the physical files to another lun)?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:51 pm

Apply for your new key. Contact support they should arrange everything.
silentstorm wrote:Hello, my beta license for 8.0.6132 will expire in 10 days or so.

What should I do?

Thanks!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:52 pm

So you want some sort of an "import" I guess when you have the container with LSFS but not description XML file for it, correct?
Delo123 wrote:When i "delete" a Device, the .spsp Files will actually be kept on disk. I suppose this is by design, so no "oops!".
Anyway, i would than expect to be able to add the device again "add existing device to target",
but in the mount device dialog there's nothing to choose / browse.

What's the correct way to delelte or better unmount and remount (maybe after moving the physical files to another lun)?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev