Starwind 8, VMM2012R2 and Hyper-V Cluster

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

rbruin

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Hello,

I am trying to setup Starwind iSCSI SAN 8.0.6312 beta with SMI-S so that I can provision storage to Hyper-V using VMM. The setup is straightforward, all servers are running 2012R2 and VMM is also 2012R2.

Provisioning storage to a standalone Hyper-V host, works perfect. But now I am stuck for a couple of days, trying to achieve the same process, only this time against a two node Hyper-V cluster.

In the last phase of adding the disks as cluster shared volumes, I end up with this error message:

Error (26164)
Could not find available cluster disk resource with disk ID or signature 2372480768 on cluster node hpv-02.cloud.lab after unmasking operation.

Recommended Action. Ensure that all cluster nodes has access to storage array by zoning property for Fibre Channel or logging into array targets for iSCSI and MPIO is setup for the array on all nodes. Then try the operation again.

After this operation on the hpv-02 host, I can see that the new disks are mounted, formatted and have received a drive letter.

I did some searching on the web about the signature and unmasking part of the error messages, but without any results.
Any idea’s what is going wrong here?

Thanks,
Ramon Bruin.
Yuriy (staff)
Staff

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:11 am

rbruin,
Error (26164)
Could not find available cluster disk resource with disk ID or signature 2372480768 on cluster node hpv-02.cloud.lab after unmasking operation.

Recommended Action. Ensure that all cluster nodes has access to storage array by zoning property for Fibre Channel or logging into array targets for iSCSI and MPIO is setup for the array on all nodes. Then try the operation again.
1) Check that StarWind iSCSI host listed in the Discovery tab of MS iSCSI Initiator.
2) Check that MPIO activated not only on the hpv-01 host, but on the hpv-02 host too. MPIO should be activated on the all hosts.
3) Try restarting of the mentioned job in the SCVMM Job List.

--
Best regards,
Yuriy.
rbruin

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:28 pm

Hi Yuri,

Checked both settings, they both seems ok to me.
But I can’t get it working.

Is this a supported configuration, somebody got this working in a Hyper-V cluster with VMM?

Regards,
Ramon Bruin.
Yuriy (staff)
Staff

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:43 am

rbruin,
Is this a supported configuration, somebody got this working in a Hyper-V cluster with VMM?
Yes, it is fully supported configuration. I just created one CSV and two "Available Storage" on our lab cluster (it was tested for case of Windows Server 2012 and for case of Windows Server 2012 R2).
See screens attached.
cluster_add_cvs_job.png
cluster_add_cvs_job.png (84.75 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
cluster_cvs_properties.png
cluster_cvs_properties.png (35.73 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
cluster_available_storage_properties.png
cluster_available_storage_properties.png (34.69 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
I checked in my environment that:
1) All cluster hosts have MPIO installed
2) Proper VMM Agent installed on every cluster host
3) All initiators have our iSCSI Server host in the Discovery Portals list (see my next post with screenshot)

--
Best regards,
Yuriy.
Last edited by Yuriy (staff) on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yuriy (staff)
Staff

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:45 am

All hosts should have appropriate iSCSI Server host registered in the list of MS Initiator Discovery Portal list:
Discovery_portals.png
Discovery_portals.png (12.65 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
rbruin

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi Yuriy,

Thanks, for your helpful posts.

I have finally figured out what was causing the failures.

During SMI-S configuration I had changed the Type of Pool 0 from Image File to IBV. Assuming that this would create thin provisioned disk and it did. And it worked perfect with a single Hyper-V host.

With this same setting, I kept on getting failures with the cluster. So I changed it back to Image File and voila… it works :D

Regards,

Ramon

Yuriy (staff)
Staff

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Ramon,

Thank you!

IBV is no longer supported in V8 so don't use it.
LSFS should be used instead IBV.

--
Yuriy.