StarWind with System Center VMM

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

elock37

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Hello all,

We're looking to move to shared storage and StarWind has really stuck out for us. We do a lot of build-your-own solutions and this software looks to be a great accompaniment to our hardware. I do have a few questions about it, however.

Does it support live replication and failover clustering included in Hyper-V Server 2012? Can I connect multiple Hyper-V hosts to one disk? Is it manageable via System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 SP1? Will it be in the future?

What we currently have is 16 2TB 7.2k SATA 6GBps disk in RAID 6. They're on a Ubuntu Server host sectioned into 3 LVMs of approximately 4.5TB each. iSCSI Target is used to host the LVMs and each VM host has to connect to its specified target via Microsoft iSCSI Initiator. If I try to connect to another LVM I'm forced to format the disk before I can use it. Ultimately what I hope to have is 3 hosts using pooled storage that can be assigned from SCVMM with live replication and failover clustering. Is this something StarWind can do?

Thanks,
elock
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:15 pm

You can find your questions answered below:
Does it support live replication and failover clustering included in Hyper-V Server 2012?
Yes, it is fully compatible with WS2012.
Can I connect multiple Hyper-V hosts to one disk?
Yes, you can. Just make sure that those OSes will be clustered, otherwise you will need software kind of DataPlow or Metasan.
Is it manageable via System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 SP1? Will it be in the future?
Yes and no - we have got the SMI-S agent for that. The product is in beta now, which menas taht you can use it but not in the production environment.
What we currently have is 16 2TB 7.2k SATA 6GBps disk in RAID 6. They're on a Ubuntu Server host sectioned into 3 LVMs of approximately 4.5TB each. iSCSI Target is used to host the LVMs and each VM host has to connect to its specified target via Microsoft iSCSI Initiator. If I try to connect to another LVM I'm forced to format the disk before I can use it. Ultimately what I hope to have is 3 hosts using pooled storage that can be assigned from SCVMM with live replication and failover clustering. Is this something StarWind can do?
I`m afraid that is not SW issue and I`m not 100% sure that I can guide you in one or another correct direction.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
aweissmsft

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi Anatoly,

Do you have a link for the latest beta of the SMI-S Provider agent? The current version I have is 0.8 Preview, however I am unable to use it to add storage to VMM 2012 SP1. I keep getting a "HostAgentFail" error message.

When I try to launch "ConfiguratorConsole.exe" and attempt to modify any configuration settings, the utility just crashes. Just wanted to make sure I had the latest version of the agent that might have resolved these issues.

Thanks,
Andrew
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 pm

You can always find the latest build on your Customers Page on our Website, here is the link:
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/customer-page

I~d recommend you to doublecheck if you have done everything according to our manual:
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwin ... -for-scvmm
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Upgrade to R2 SCVMM Preview and StarWind V8 Beta. You be good! (c) ...
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software