SMI-S Multiple Disk/Device Path in SCVMM

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

august

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Hello,
I am setting up StarWind iSCSI SAN for System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 / Hyper-V. I have the SMI-S agent installed on the SAN server, and it appears to be working properly in SCVMM.

However, my SAN server has 6 hardware SAS Arrays and I would like to expose all of them to SCVMM, and ideally provide them with different classifications in SCVMM.
With the way the SMI-S agent configurator console prompts me for one pool path (which ties it to one drive), I don't see how to expose more than one disk array at a time to SCVMM using SMI-S.

Am I missing something, or is this by design?
Thanks for the input.

Regards, Eric Valentour
august

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:22 pm

bump

Does anyone have experience with using multiple disks with the SMI-S agent?
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:39 pm

In current version of SMI-S agent you can configure only one path to store your devices for SCVMM.
august

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:01 pm

I know that the SMI-S agent is bound to a specific port.
Is it possible to run multiple instances of the SMI-S agent, with each instance on a separate port pointing to a different drive?
Could there be some other type of workaround to this?

This seems like a serious limitation, at least in my opinion. I have 6 disk arrays in my system, each showing up as a different drive. Could you comment on whether this is being worked on for a future version of the SMI-S agent?

Thanks
Regards, Eric Valentour
Yuriy (staff)
Staff

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:13 am

august wrote:I know that the SMI-S agent is bound to a specific port.
Is it possible to run multiple instances of the SMI-S agent, with each instance on a separate port pointing to a different drive?
Could there be some other type of workaround to this?

This seems like a serious limitation, at least in my opinion. I have 6 disk arrays in my system, each showing up as a different drive. Could you comment on whether this is being worked on for a future version of the SMI-S agent?
Dear Eric,

In current version it is not possible to configure more than one path.
We plan to add possibility of using multiple paths in form of creating different Concrete Pool for every path that can be provided with different classification (as you want). But this feature will be in the future.

As workaround I suggest you to use Windows Dynamic Disks or Hardware RAID technology in order to create one single space that you can use with one path.

--
Best regards,
Yuriy.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Upgrade to R2 SCVMM Preview and StarWind V8 Beta. You be good! (c) ...
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software