StarWind V5.9/6.0 Beta

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 pm

"We're all mad here..." (c) Chesire Cat

Should work. But I'll double-check tomorrow.
kmax wrote:No problem, after you wrote that I thought I was nuts.

But the question still stands...5.8 to 6.0 without interruption?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Alex (staff)
Staff

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 am

No problem, after you wrote that I thought I was nuts.

But the question still stands...5.8 to 6.0 without interruption?
Yes, update will work without interruption.
Best regards,
Alexey.
sunyucong

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:28 am

does current beta build includes ability to change cache settings on-fly?
Alex (staff)
Staff

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 am

Still no. It will be implemented in of the next 6.x releases.
Best regards,
Alexey.
sammybendover

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 pm

Since I work for a storage reseller that does not sell StarWind, but I as an engineer would like to try it out. I cannot register my corp email, as if my boss sees that, i would get in trouble, or worse.

What are my other options? I am testing this on a 2 node hyper-v enviroment, and a file server all running Server 2012 RC.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Drop an e-mail to sales@starwindsoftware.com and they will unblock your free account for limited access. Or will send the license manually via e-mail.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

sammybendover

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:57 pm

I sent an email to the link there. I will let you know what happens, thx
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Should respond ASAP.
sammybendover wrote:I sent an email to the link there. I will let you know what happens, thx
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

sammybendover

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:42 pm

I have not had a response yet. Should I wait longer?
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi Sammy,

the key was sent to you. Please check your e-mail.
BTW, StarWind 6.0 beta is available for download. You can try it.
http://starwindsoftware.com/tmplink/StarWindBeta.exe

New Features and Improvements
High Availability:
- Management functions for HA device nodes. You can add new node to HA device, remove or switch existing nodes without recreating the whole HA device.
- High availbility device can use other types of StarWind devices for storing data. It can be deduplicated device, thin-provisioned IBV device, or DiskBridge device.

Deduplicated disk:
- Asynchronous replication of deduplicated storage. Any iSCSI target can be used as a destination storage for replication.

Backup:
- Backup and management for VMWare ESX virtual machines.
- Some additional features in Backup and management for Hyper-V virtual machines.
- New GUI (integrated to StarWind management console) to manage backup process.
- Simplified process of connection to ESX and Hyper-V servers.
Last edited by Bohdan (staff) on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammybendover

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Thank you very much, i have removed iscsi target from windows server 2012 as a role, and installed 6.0 beta instead. I have used the key provided, thank you very much.

I think i did find a bug, when i created a target after creating a target group, it showed up in both general target group and the one i created at the same time. none of the other 3 devices did that.

Also, is there something i have to do to enable mpio? i had mpio working fine on my 2 hyper-v 2012 rc hosts when i was using the built in iscsi target. Each hyper-v host, and the storage server have 1 gb intel quad port nic each in a dedicated vlan x(times) 4. I have the 11, 12, 13, and 14 vlan created just for storage traffic. If it is not storage related, it's not on those vlans. They are connected to a cisco 3750 that has jumbo frames enabled on it. MPIO was working with both open indiana, and windows iscsi target on server 2012 rc. I have not reconfigured anything in the network. All i did was remove builtin iscsi target, and install starwind 6 beta. when i recreated the iscsi connections on each hyper-v host, i enabled multi-path, and was suprised it could only connect on the 11 vlan. I am probably doing something stupid?
sammybendover

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:22 am

i did get mpio working, i had to use CHAP to restric what ip to what initiator (weird?) i would expect this to be an option of the target, not under security.

Also, i had to manually create every MPIO connection myself, that is alot more work that i am used to compared to microsoft iscsi target or OpenIndiana.

Performance seemed decent, i have a raw disk raid 0 device presented into iscsi, i get about 495 MB/sec write, and 492 MB/sec read through 4 1GbE links via atto disk benchmark
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:51 am

sammybendover wrote:i did get mpio working, i had to use CHAP to restric what ip to what initiator (weird?) i would expect this to be an option of the target, not under security.

Also, i had to manually create every MPIO connection myself, that is alot more work that i am used to compared to microsoft iscsi target or OpenIndiana.

Performance seemed decent, i have a raw disk raid 0 device presented into iscsi, i get about 495 MB/sec write, and 492 MB/sec read through 4 1GbE links via atto disk benchmark
Could you please explain in more details what exactly would you like to change in StarWind Management console?

Right now it is possible:
1) Set CHAP authentication for StarWind management connection (TCP 3261 port).
These are server-side and management console side settings:
1.a)Configuration->under Server Settings ->Management Interface -> Authentication Parameters ->Modify
1.b) Configuration->under Management Console Settings ->Management Interface -> Authentication Parameters ->Modify
Note: Be aware 1.b case can be performed only if the Management Console is disconnected from the StarWind server.
You should conform server-side and management console side settings manually. The default authentication type is basic. To use CHAP authentication: modify server-side authentication parameters settings specifying necessary auth type with chap name and chap secret (1a), disconnect form the server, modify management console side auth settings specifying the same auth type and the same chap name and chap secret.
It works in such way because several StarWind servers can be managed remotely with single StarWind Management Console and 1.a and 1.b steps are server-dependent. I mean you can add several StarWind servers in the Managemet console and set different auth settings for each of them.

2) Set Global CHAP permission for all iSCSI targets. It will be applied for existing targets and for the newly created ones.
Targets -> CHAP Permissions
In order to connect the target you should specify "Enable CHAP log on" (example for MS iSCSI initiator) and specify the CHAP credentials (the same as you provided under Targets -> CHAP Permissions)

3) Set Per-target CHAP permissions.
Under the Target List click the target you are going to set CHAP permissions. Look lower. You will see: Devices, iSCSI Sessions and CHAP Permissions tabs. Switch to the CHAP Permissions tab.
Specify the necessary CHAP settings.
In order to connect the target you should specify "Enable CHAP log on" (example for MS iSCSI initiator) and specify the CHAP credentials.

4) Set High Availability device CHAP permissions.
If you use CHAP for HA devices, they are also used for synchronization connections.
So, in order to set CHAP auth:
4.a) On the first HA node set the Global or Per-target CHAP (as described above)
4.b) On the second HA node under the Target List select the necessary target, look down at Devices tab, right click over the HA device and select Change Partner Authentication Settings; In the wizard that appears select the Partner (the one you have set the Global or Per-target CHAP permissions), under authentication type select CHAP and specify the same credentials.
4.c) Repeat the same steps for other HA Partners.

StarWind also has Access Rights settings where you can restrict client initiator connections by IP, DNS Name or IQN.

Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Could you please also clarify with more details and examples about MPIO connection in StarWind compared to compared to microsoft iscsi target or OpenIndiana.
blueninja

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Will this new version allow for a diskless boot via PXE Boot (non-iSCSI client/initiator)?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:57 am

Should be in some form. Also we're completing manual for iSCSI boot and in the worst case we'll catch up with next beta update (~2 weeks from now).
blueninja wrote:Will this new version allow for a diskless boot via PXE Boot (non-iSCSI client/initiator)?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev