StarWind iSCSI SAN
StarWind Native SAN for Hyper-V
 

StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: art (staff), anton (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby ticktok » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Tiago Rost wrote:update,.. i have installed the RTM version of SCVMM 2012 and the same problem still exist.


Yes I have the same problem (RTM + Update Rollup 1) - but since I haven't got another SAN to test with, I am not sure whether the problem is with SCVMM 2012 or StarWind.
User avatar
ticktok
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 am

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby ticktok » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:08 pm

Tiago Rost wrote:hello again,

am facing a strange problem when creating logical LUN using SCVMM 2012, after adding the Starwind to the SCVMM 2012 RC when i create new logical LUN the system center console disconnected and then give me error 1700 "the virtual machine manager server on the SCVMM server stopped while this job was running. This may have been caused by a system restart" it only happen when creating LUN, but the thing is the LUN gets created in the Starwind Server but not shown in the SCVMM console. Is it because am using RC version of System Center?


In order to see it in SCVMM 2012 you need to refresh the Storage Provider. In a clustered configuration after allocation refresh the Hyper-V hosts and Cluster to have the LUN show up in the available storage for allocation as Available Storage or Shared Volumes
User avatar
ticktok
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 am

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby Tiago Rost » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 am

ticktok wrote:
In order to see it in SCVMM 2012 you need to refresh the Storage Provider. In a clustered configuration after allocation refresh the Hyper-V hosts and Cluster to have the LUN show up in the available storage for allocation as Available Storage or Shared Volumes



did the allocation space problem solved with you, all my LUN is shown 0 GB of available space.
User avatar
Tiago Rost
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:04 am

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby ticktok » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Tiago Rost wrote:
ticktok wrote:
In order to see it in SCVMM 2012 you need to refresh the Storage Provider. In a clustered configuration after allocation refresh the Hyper-V hosts and Cluster to have the LUN show up in the available storage for allocation as Available Storage or Shared Volumes



did the allocation space problem solved with you, all my LUN is shown 0 GB of available space.


No it still shows as 0 Gb. While experimenting I determined that if the Target is set up for clustering the LUN's show 0 Gb but when you set up a target without clustering enabled it shows the correct space and available space on the parent volume that the target's device is located on.
User avatar
ticktok
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 am

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby Yuriy (staff) » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:20 am

Tiago Rost, thank you for you report.
This is known issue. We are working with Microsoft to resolve this problem.

Tiago Rost wrote:am facing a strange problem when creating logical LUN using SCVMM 2012, after adding the Starwind to the SCVMM 2012 RC when i create new logical LUN the system center console disconnected and then give me error 1700 "the virtual machine manager server on the SCVMM server stopped while this job was running. This may have been caused by a system restart" it only happen when creating LUN, but the thing is the LUN gets created in the Starwind Server but not shown in the SCVMM console. Is it because am using RC version of System Center?
User avatar
Yuriy (staff)
Staff
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby Yuriy (staff) » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:37 am

Dear Ticktok and Tiago Rost!
Please, see screenshot here: http://www.starwindsoftware.com/tmplink/smis/SCVMM_VolumeAvalibleSpace.PNG
It is normal that you see 0 GB of Available Capacity because we are SAN (not NAS). We can only allocate space for LUN, but can't say what part of space is currently used or free. We assume that all space is used.

ticktok wrote:No it still shows as 0 Gb. While experimenting I determined that if the Target is set up for clustering the LUN's show 0 Gb but when you set up a target without clustering enabled it shows the correct space and available space on the parent volume that the target's device is located on.
User avatar
Yuriy (staff)
Staff
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby ticktok » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:26 am

Yuriy (staff) wrote:Dear Ticktok and Tiago Rost!
Please, see screenshot here: http://www.starwindsoftware.com/tmplink/smis/SCVMM_VolumeAvalibleSpace.PNG
It is normal that you see 0 GB of Available Capacity because we are SAN (not NAS). We can only allocate space for LUN, but can't say what part of space is currently used or free. We assume that all space is used.

ticktok wrote:No it still shows as 0 Gb. While experimenting I determined that if the Target is set up for clustering the LUN's show 0 Gb but when you set up a target without clustering enabled it shows the correct space and available space on the parent volume that the target's device is located on.


Hi Yuri,
Please see attached image that shows the issue we are seeing.
Attachments
SCVMM_VolumeAvailableSpace.png
Problem with 0GB shown for classification
SCVMM_VolumeAvailableSpace.png (158.29 KiB) Viewed 8893 times
User avatar
ticktok
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 am

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby Anatoly (staff) » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:59 am

Dear ticktok,

That is exatcly what Yuriy was talking about.
Please review the matter again:
It is normal that you see 0 GB of Available Capacity because we are SAN (not NAS). We can only allocate space for LUN, but can't say what part of space is currently used or free. We assume that all space is used.
Everything is illustrated on the screenshot below (my colleague provided it earlier actually):
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/tmplink ... eSpace.PNG
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
[email protected]
User avatar
Anatoly (staff)
Staff
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:28 am

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby anton (staff) » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:08 am

I think we'll change this to match "all space" not to confuse the customers. So in your case it would be 120GB everywhere. Till end of this week :)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Image
User avatar
anton (staff)
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3922
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:03 am
Location: British Virgin Islands

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby ticktok » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:53 am

Anatoly (staff) wrote:Dear ticktok,

That is exatcly what Yuriy was talking about.
Please review the matter again:
It is normal that you see 0 GB of Available Capacity because we are SAN (not NAS). We can only allocate space for LUN, but can't say what part of space is currently used or free. We assume that all space is used.
Everything is illustrated on the screenshot below (my colleague provided it earlier actually):
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/tmplink ... eSpace.PNG


Perhaps this picture illustrates what I was talking about better:-
Here are two targets both on the same StarWind server, the top one offers a clustered target server, the bottom one designated with a -nc on the end of it's target name doesn't. The unclustered target shows available space on the StarWind server the clustered version doesn't.
Attachments
StarWindStorage.png
StarWindStorage.png (138.12 KiB) Viewed 8792 times
User avatar
ticktok
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 am

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby Yuriy (staff) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Dear Ticktok and Tiago Rost!

Please report version number of your SCVMM.

Thank you!

--
Best regards,
Yuriy.
User avatar
Yuriy (staff)
Staff
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby ticktok » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:18 am

Yuriy (staff) wrote:Dear Ticktok and Tiago Rost!

Please report version number of your SCVMM.

Thank you!

--
Best regards,
Yuriy.


The SCVMM is the RTM version with Update Rollup 1 applied.
User avatar
ticktok
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 am

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby Yuriy (staff) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:29 am

It will be good, if you say exact numbers.
ticktok wrote:The SCVMM is the RTM version with Update Rollup 1 applied.
User avatar
Yuriy (staff)
Staff
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby ticktok » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:49 am

Yuriy (staff) wrote:It will be good, if you say exact numbers.
ticktok wrote:The SCVMM is the RTM version with Update Rollup 1 applied.

Version 3.0.6019.0
User avatar
ticktok
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 am

Re: StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Postby Yuriy (staff) » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Dear Ticktok and Tiago Rost!

We checked issue that you reported.

Please, check field "Device Path (same as pool path)". You will get 0 GB issue for your pools in case if you provided invalid path to device pool. Check disk letter and folder names, please.

I'm also glad to inform you that you can download updated version of Starwind SMI-S Provider preview version 0.6 here:
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/tmplink/smis/StarWind_SMIS_0_6_preview.exe
(this is temporary link, permanent link will be updated soon)

--
Best regards,
Yuriy.
User avatar
Yuriy (staff)
Staff
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Beta

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest