5.8 questions

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

CS-Chase

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Hello everybody, I recently just deployed Starwind ISCSI San into our environment and 5.7 was working great. Since we are still in the testing phase of our project, I gave 5.8 a try and am unclear of a few things. Previously I was told by a Starwind tech to have my sync channel of 3x1Gb link set to a teamed configuration for max throughput. Is this still the best way to go in version 5.8? The HA configuration now gives the option to have multiple interfaces as the sync channel. Am I better off leaving all 3 interfaces separate and adding them to starwind to manage or teaming them and just using it as 1 link?

Second question, once HA Dedupe is implemented will there be a way to convert old disks to the new dedupe disk? Our storage is limited and if I use all 3 TB of my storage now with no dedupe and go into production, I don't want to be stuck down the road.

Thanks again,

Chase
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:57 pm

No. StarWind V5.8 and up will use multiple non-teamed NICs in Round Robin to push the data in Plug-n-Play manner.

Yes of course we'll provide some sort of converter. However you'll still need extra space or we'll try to find out how to do it in HA friendly manner.
CS-Chase wrote:Hello everybody, I recently just deployed Starwind ISCSI San into our environment and 5.7 was working great. Since we are still in the testing phase of our project, I gave 5.8 a try and am unclear of a few things. Previously I was told by a Starwind tech to have my sync channel of 3x1Gb link set to a teamed configuration for max throughput. Is this still the best way to go in version 5.8? The HA configuration now gives the option to have multiple interfaces as the sync channel. Am I better off leaving all 3 interfaces separate and adding them to starwind to manage or teaming them and just using it as 1 link?

Second question, once HA Dedupe is implemented will there be a way to convert old disks to the new dedupe disk? Our storage is limited and if I use all 3 TB of my storage now with no dedupe and go into production, I don't want to be stuck down the road.

Thanks again,

Chase
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software