Few wishes

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

robnicholson

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:16 am

• Regionalise the dates in the log window so it's 03/10 for UK and not 10/03 (see screenshot)
  • Automatically refresh the log window when you select one from the drop down list (pressing refresh isn't obvious)
  • Default to the latest log, not the earliest. You're normally interested in what's happening today
  • Include critical events in the event log - reading the log is hardwork for us as we're not familiar with the format
Cheers, Rob.
Attachments
starwind report.png
starwind report.png (30.7 KiB) Viewed 14945 times
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:05 pm

1) OK
2) OK
3) We'll make it controllable
4) Logs are for us and not for users. We'll make integration with Windows and Even log a bit deeper if you don't mind.

Alex, could you please put this all into TODO list :) Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Gustav

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:49 am

1) Changing this will make it impossible to sort the log.
A better approach would be to include the year as well and use the ISO 8601 style:

2011-10-03 19:17:26.768 8d8 Srv: StarWind iSCSI ...
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Adding TAG or record number should also sort the thing out. OK, we'll keep eye on sorting. Thanks for pointing!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

georgep

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Just to add a wish not sure if it already exists or not.

The image.img file which Starwind uses to store data for that target can we get Thin provision option on that if it doesn`t affect performance too much. I know Dell EQ has that on it`s volumes/targets. I have a datastore of 7TB but to be honest I only use less than 1 TB but on my Starwind SAN I actually use all that space.

Something nice to have.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:51 am

Image file cannot be thin provisioned as it's just a RAW formatted data content stored on a host file system (OK, we can make it sparse on NTFS but it kills performance and has issues with writes on a low memory config so we don't do it any more). All other formats StarWind support out-of-box (IBV/Dedupe) are thin-provisioned by design.
georgep wrote:Just to add a wish not sure if it already exists or not.

The image.img file which Starwind uses to store data for that target can we get Thin provision option on that if it doesn`t affect performance too much. I know Dell EQ has that on it`s volumes/targets. I have a datastore of 7TB but to be honest I only use less than 1 TB but on my Starwind SAN I actually use all that space.

Something nice to have.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev