Unable to create comressed vdisk

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

eabeukes

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:27 am

I am trying to test a compressed vdisk on ESX using a Win2008R2 host and when I try to add one I get the error:
Image file can not be created
Failed: operation cannot be completed (error 1)

Any idea why this happens?
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:15 am

Hi.
Could you please zip and send us StarWind logs?
eabeukes

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:56 pm

HI

I will send as soon as I can download them from the box - I had a quick look and can see this in the logs:

4/19 11:20:49.391 300 IMG: *** ImageFile_NewImage: Volume 'D:\' (NTFS) doesn't support compression!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:31 pm

We don't have own compression inside StarWind (as it does not make sense to have one AS IS) rather we rely on NTFS compression for image files. So if you have compression DISABLED for the whole volume or for root folder - no luck... You could try placing StarWind images inside say "D:\IMAGES" folder enabling compression for "D:\IMAGES" at the same time. Should work for you :)

P.S. Upcoming V6 will have own block-level de-duplication-based compression support. But you're not going to see one before June 2010 :)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

eabeukes

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:00 am

Anton

Thanks, makes much more sense - do you have a wiki of any kind somewhere that customers (or potential) customers can access to get this info?

My current v5 beta has expired but that v6 one sounds awesome, de-dupe in a Windows-based iSCSI server is something I can very easily sell! Do you know when the beta's will start coming out for that?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Not really... In this particular case it's something linked more with Windows NTFS features rather then StarWind itself.

We don't have any real time frame for V6 with de-duplication yet... June-July 2010 estimated but it can easily shift.
eabeukes wrote:Anton

Thanks, makes much more sense - do you have a wiki of any kind somewhere that customers (or potential) customers can access to get this info?

My current v5 beta has expired but that v6 one sounds awesome, de-dupe in a Windows-based iSCSI server is something I can very easily sell! Do you know when the beta's will start coming out for that?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software