P2V not seeing EFI partition

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

scott.mcgrath

Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:31 pm

We're trying to convert a Boot drive to a VHDX and it's not seeing the boot partition.

So when we try booting it up we're getting the error a few people are getting on here 'The Boot Loader did not load an operating system'. I guess this is expected.

But with P2V not seeing the EFI Partition at all not sure what to do.

It's important to note that the Boot drive on this server is on a Dynamic Disk which isn't ideal but that's what we have.

Also even if we do export without the the EFI partition we can't even mount the disk in Disk Manager. It shows as a Red exclamation mark next to it.

Anyone seen this?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:28 pm

Welcome to StarWind Forum. Could you please share the screenshots?
scott.mcgrath

Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:50 am

Hi
thanks for your reply and kind welcome :)

I've uploaded a screenshot.

We worked on this more last night. We've noticed that P2V Migrator is not picking up the UEFI partition when selecting the partitions to P2V.

We're going to try do a full disk P2V today to see if that works. We were excluding a large partition we don't want.

Then if that doesn't work, we're going to try convert the Disk to Basic with a third party utility we've tried on a test.

Then if P2V Migrator doesn't pick up the UEFI partition again, I've found an article where someone said if you mount it with an available Drive letter, that doesn't do any harm to the OS, but it does mean P2V Migrator should pick it up.

We'll see how that goes.
Attachments
xup2u.png
xup2u.png (48.91 KiB) Viewed 731 times
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:41 pm

Thanks!
Could you please try an IDE controller for that disk?
Also, did the conversion finish successfully?