V2V Hyper-V VM from Azure to VMware vCenter 7

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

cpalacios

Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:24 pm

Hi there,

We have several Azure Linux VMs that I've had a hard time converting from Hyper-V so that they would work on our vCenter server. Is there a proper way to convert VMs with Converter for Linux distributions such as Debian, Ubuntu, Oracle Linux? Most of these VMs are quite old with older versions of their Linux OS, but I'm hoping I can easily find the right steps to get these migrated properly as some of these VMs are pretty important, but we don't need to host them in Azure anymore. Any help would be appreciated!! :)

Thank you,
-Christian
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:38 pm

Welcome to StarWind Forum.
There is no specific recommendation on V2V converting the VMs. They are virtual so as long as their host and destination are on the list (https://www.starwindsoftware.com/v2v-he ... tions.html) all should be good.
cpalacios

Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:38 pm

Thank you. I am trying to convert a VHD file that I'm downloading from Azure, but it's a snapshot. I noticed in the article you sent me that it mentions that snapshots don't get converted. Does that mean that if I download a snapshot, it won't work or does that refer to something else?

Here are the details of the VM in Azure I'm trying to convert, does it all look OK?

Operating system: Linux (ubuntu 18.04)
Image publisher: Canonical
Image offer: UbuntuServer
Image plan: 18.04-LTS
VM generation: V1
VM architecture: x64

Thanks,
-Christian
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:15 pm

Thank you for additional details.
Can you please merge the checkpoints before converting?
cpalacios

Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:23 pm

Sorry, what do you mean by "merge the checkpoints"? This is one snapshot file (*.vhd) from Azure that I'm trying from Azure. So it's basically a copy of the VM that's already in Azure.

-Christian
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:33 pm

Thanks for adding more details! Can you still try converting VHD?
VHD is a virtual disk. AVHD(x) is a checkpoint for the VM.
cpalacios

Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:45 pm

Hi there,

When I download the file, I just add .vhd to it as it doesn't have an extension when I download it.
I can convert it and automatically upload it to our VMware environment, but it has errors or it never allows me to log into it.
Any specific settings that I should set on the VM or even before I do the convertion?

Thanks,
-Christian
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:57 pm

but it has errors or it never allows me to log into it.
May I wonder what error you mentioned?
Try also this guide https://www.starwindsoftware.com/v2v-he ... Azure.html