Not enough space (VMware to Hyper-V) Conversion

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

TonyB

Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:25 pm

I am attempting to convert a .vmdk and add it onto our Hyper-V storage cluster, which symbolically points to our SAN. I am at the last step of the process where I can finalize the conversion process but it is telling me there is not enough space on the disk to complete the conversion. I am trying to place the disk on the same storage cluster that all our other Hyper-V VMs are on, which has many TBs of free space available. The cluster storage is a symbolic link back to the SAN but the V2V converter doesn't see it that way. It only sees that there is about 100GB left on the C: and will not let me proceed with the conversion. We cannot be the first group to try to restore to the standard "Cluster Storage" location that symbolically points back to a SAN, right?

After thinking about this process more, I have a question. Do I need to complete the conversion process on the same platform that I plan to run the .vmdk on? Or can I convert the disk on any platform and then move it over to the Hyper-V host?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:30 pm

Hi,

The storage is to be mounted as a disk, partition, or a Cluster Shared volume to the system. Currently, V2V converter does not recognize the links and file shares.
It does not need to be local, you can convert it straight to the platform where you intend running the VM. See more on conversion scenarios https://www.starwindsoftware.com/v2v-he ... tions.html
TonyB

Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:19 pm

thank you for the reply. My question is whether or not it is acceptable to convert the disk on a different computer or server and then move the converted disk over to the Hyper-V host?

Thank you
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:29 pm

Thanks for more details! Yes, you can.
TonyB

Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:53 pm

Thank you very much!!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:09 am

Hi,