Converting local vmx file to AWS

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

agorostidi

Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:12 pm

Hi,
I have local vmware image (a vmx file) that I am trying to migrated to AWS.
I used the V2V Converter, and it seems it finish the process correctly, but I have no idea of where the AMI image I need ton AWS to created the EC2 is created. On the process of conversion the StarWind app only asked me for my credentials of AWS, and the region to use. I already instered the credentials correctly and setup the region where I want the .vmx file converted (eu-central-1) but although the process of conversion finished, I am unable to find on such as region any AMI file I can use to created the EC2 instance. Could you please provide some guidance about thow I should follow the process once the V2V converter has upload my vmx file to AWS ? Where has been (and on what format or how) the image been upload ?

Thks !!!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:57 pm

I believe that your question is related to AWS rather than StarWind V2V Converter.
VMX file is the VM configuration file. You need not only the configuration file but also disks. Try converting the VM as a local instance to see if it works and make sure you have all the components for successful conversion.
Check this out on how to set up the AWS side https://www.starwindsoftware.com/v2v-he ... vices.html.
agorostidi

Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:43 am

Yes, I already followed all that process.

In fact, I run the StarWind V2V Converter and it finished ok, and seems that the image was upload to AWS. But after the process finished (after several hours) I had no indicator of next steps. I only had a message telling me that the image has been upload to amazon, and the local program ended sucessfully. But when I went to AWS and look for the Amazon Web Services virtual machine, I was unable to find it. Is not under my current AWS virtual machines (neither as a stopped EC2 instance), neither as a image (as an AMI).

where is the exactly the converter virtual machine uploaded and stored ?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:34 am

I had no indicator of next steps.
Please make sure to pre-configure AWS environment the way we discuss in the guide. According to your message, the process has finished. Conversion does not imply additional steps.
The converter stores the instances exactly where you specify during conversion. Try converting an individual disk.
agorostidi

Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:25 pm

I did followed all the process, in fact following that process I obtened the AWS Keys that I am later asked for when running the converter. Otherwise, I would not have been able to launch the converter because at the stage where you ask me for the keys, I would not have them.

I think that the information on that link is incomplete, and is not enough to do a correct migration. For example, AWS has is own tools, that ran locally, to do migrations. When you ran that tools, you can choose either to migrate the entire machine (an create either an EC2 instance on AWS or an AMI image so you can create the EC2machine later), or a disk. On the case of a disk, you can select to export it to either a volume on AWS (that you can later use on an EC2image), or a snapshot.
On that case, the disk are created on a S3 Object repository, specificaylly for this.

On the guide that you point me previously, the only process described is how to obtain the API keys (the credentials) that you should supply on the PV2Converter tool. The PV2Converter tool uses that tool sucessfully to create whatever it creates on AWS, on the region you specify, but after a process that last several hours, it does not told you what has created, either an EC2 Instance, an AMI, a Volume, or a Snapshoot... Neither which name or identified used for that creation. And I am getting crazy looking everywhere for it !!!! (I did the process with the vmdk file, and exacly the same issue :-( ).
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:25 pm

The information on the guide is complete as it was tested not only by us internally but also by other users and normally runs smoothly.
On the guide that you point me previously, the only process described is how to obtain the API keys (the credentials) that you should supply on the PV2Converter tool.
The guide addresses creating keys that are valid for both V2V and P2V conversion, not P2V alone.
Can you please share the screen you see after conversion?

If conversion finishes with success, the issue is not related to the converter as it puts the files/VMs exactly where you point it.