Unable to boot vmdk in vmware

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

ramkumarr

Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:33 am

Hi:
I am new to Starwind V2V. I have been trying for several days now to get a vmdk that will boot up in VMWare but no success hence I turn to this forum. Here are the facts of the case, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
1. I have a Thinkpad W530 with a dual boot system on a SSD - windows 10 as well as Manjaro Linux. The system boots UEFI without secure boot.
2. I have vmware workstation installed and working correctly on Manjaro.
3. I downloaded Starwind V2V on my Win installation and converted the "C:" volume to a vmdk.
4. In vmware I created a new VM and then later added the existing vmdk.

Bootup fails.
I attached a win10 iso as a cdrom, got into the command prompt and found that what was in C: in my Win 10 installation now shows up as D:. No idea if that indicates a problem.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I guess if I get it done once then I can do it repeatedly forever :-P.
Best - Ram
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:13 pm

Try a different boot option. Furthermore, C:\ will be taken by an operating system where you try mounting VMDK. This is why you see your C:\ as D:\.
ramkumarr

Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:27 pm

Hi:
First of all, did I do the right thing in creating the VMDK by choosing just the partition containing C:? Or should I have included any other partitions such as MSR?
No other boot option works - I get a blue EFI screen asking me to choose boot options as shown below but none works.
b.png
b.png (6.95 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Best - Ram
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:48 am

Yes, you need to convert the C:\.
Did you try BIOS instead?