P2V question - use custom storage?

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

star_norm

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:14 pm

I have a remote physical server that I only have remote access to and I would like to create a virtual image of it to send to my datacenter in my office. Can it do this? And if so, how?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:22 pm

Yes, there's a P2V mode within our V2V converter.

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/v2v-he ... nario.html
star_norm wrote:I have a remote physical server that I only have remote access to and I would like to create a virtual image of it to send to my datacenter in my office. Can it do this? And if so, how?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

mesolee

Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:18 am

In theory, this seems like something simple but if it's not then we will have a problem.

File server we want to move P2V. C:\ Drive is local physical disk say 250GB. E:\ Disk Local Physical Disk say another 250GB. Three more drives on the server say G:\, H:\, and I:\ are all 500GB but are ISCSI LUNs.

When I go to migrate it says it is going to migrate 2TB of Data.

Question is... is it going to move the ISCSI data to a now local disk or is it just looking at the total used space by the server?? The server is only about 500GB in size MAX but another 1.5TB stored on a SAN unit.

Not sure as to what will happen. I don't really have space to provision that move. Those files need to remain on the SAN which we can expand storage there.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:45 am

Hi,

Thank you for your question. If you do not want 3x 50 GB volumes to be converted, please do P2V conversion of the specific disks.