V2V on ESXI to Hyper-v extremely slow

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

EvoBora

Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:33 pm

I've attempted the conversion twice now from an intermediary machine and directly from the Hyper-v host. In my last attempt, I connected directly to the 6.5 ESXi host from the hyper-v server with the V2V software. Both system are running on gigabit copper to the same switch. I have tested speed between both machines just using windows which is not exactly efficient and it was able to transfer data 10x faster than the V2V converter. I monitored the CPU and Memory remotely for a few minutes and they were hardly doing anything. The network was showing 96 mb/s the remote connection tested when not migrating was 32 kbps at its max so remote monitoring wasn't using much of the network bandwidth. The VM had a 33 GB vmdk boot file and a 299 GB vmdk data file. The 33 GB file took 2 hours 10 minutes. In the second file, I stopped at 25% after 14 hours since it wouldn't finish by the deadline. My first test produced the same results but was marginally slower on the intermediary machine. Even though the system shows a 96 Mb/s receiving speed after calculation it was really only 1.5 Mb/s. I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong because this seems strange it takes so long to do the migration.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:34 am

Greetings,

Welcome to StarWind Forum. I have escalated this question to R&D team.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 pm

Greetings,

Sorry for the delayed response. V2V Converter converts in 1 thread. VMware libs might also bottleneck the performance. Have asked RnD team to work on the possible performance improvement.
Perino

Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:47 am

Hello,

is there any progress on this topic?
It is nearly unpossible to convert from ESXi to Hyper-V with StarWind!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:32 am

Hi there,

I'd like to draw your attentions that VMware libs might also bottleneck the performance. R&D team is still working.