Access right error

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

agupta

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi Guys,

I am converting a ESXi to Hyper-V image. all the VM in ESXI is powered off. I have 2 VM in ESXI and 1 VM has 2VMDK drives while the other only has 1.

I have installed v2v and rebootm the PC its been installed in and then started the conversion. I was able to convert from VMDK to VHDX for the VM that had a single disk with out any issues. the Second VM i was able to convert the DATA drive with out any issue. However when i try to convert the primary VMDK that has windows installed it initially looks like its working but then gets an error at around 5%. i get the error "you don't have access rights to this file" if i say retry it says reread ok and then fails staright away with the same error. not sure why its failing. Windows is a Server 2016 and is my domain controller as well.

any suggestions of what i can try to get the conversion to work ?

Thanks!
agupta

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:55 pm

ok i even tried to create the VHDX buy running the v2v converter inside the VM. even that fails at exactly the same point with the same error "Error read file !"

really does not make any sense.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:28 am

Welcome to StarWind Forum!
i even tried to create the VHDX buy running the v2v converter inside the VM.
So, you are trying to run the converter inside the VM that is to be converted, am I correct? If so, it is expected behavior as its disk is in use as the VM is turned on.
i get the error "you don't have access rights to this file"
Are you using the root credentials? Are you connecting to ESXi host?
agupta

Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:11 am

the conversion fails even when running from external and the VM is off. when i run from internal i do a Physical to VHDX and on other computers run well only on this particular VM it fails. It looks like when the fail happens i can see an event log in windows for a disk error "bad block" which is odd because it is a VM and should not have any bad block ?

Is there anyway to have v2v ignore bad sectors/ block and still try the conversion? My backup software was also erroring when running the job about a disk error but if i said to ignore bad sectors it was able to run successfully and i can see the data in the backup.

So hopefully there is a way to get v2v to ignore the bad blocks and force the conversion ?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:37 am

Can I have the V2V Converter logs, please? You can find it here C:\Program Files\StarWind Software\StarWind V2V Converter.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:12 am

Greetings, I have checked this warning with my colleague.
It seems to be an issue with underlying storage. Try running defrag of the disk that has bad sectors.
agupta

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:14 pm

yaroslav (staff) wrote:Greetings, I have checked this warning with my colleague.
It seems to be an issue with underlying storage. Try running defrag of the disk that has bad sectors.

I think the base hardware is failing. I was able to convert the backup i did via my backup software to a VM as well so looks like it is working. i just had to tell my backup software to ignore bad sectors. hopefully v2v can add a similar function in the future ?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:19 pm

Absolutely right, sounds like a good feature to me. Thanks for the feature request. Will pass it to the R&D team.
Did you try repairing the disk before running the conversion?
agupta

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:37 pm

yaroslav (staff) wrote:Absolutely right, sounds like a good feature to me. Thanks for the feature request. Will pass it to the R&D team.
Did you try repairing the disk before running the conversion?

i can see the ESXI has 2 sets of data stores. the ones ons set 2 converted without issue the one on set1 is the one with the bad blocks but was able to convert via my backup software which converted the backed up VM as a VHDX for me and was then able to boot it. but the backup software only worked as i was able to tell it to ignore bad sectors / blocks else it was also failing in a similar fashion.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Thanks for the info.
I have passed the request to the R&D team, thanks for your contribution to the development of StarWind V2V!

P.S Please consider checking that disk that throws bad block errors someday.
agupta

Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:32 am

yaroslav (staff) wrote:Thanks for the info.
I have passed the request to the R&D team, thanks for your contribution to the development of StarWind V2V!

P.S Please consider checking that disk that throws bad block errors someday.

Thank you. Yes we are planning to upgrade the server and do some other work on it soon so will perform the disk checks at the same time :)
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:10 am

Cool! Thanks!!
Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

p.s. Consider trying conversion afterwards.
john_roa

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:24 pm

I'm having a similar issue on a Windows Server 2016. I'm trying to go P2V. This machine is a Domain Controller. It looks like it some how lost the file it was trying to create. The E drive it is writing to is an External Storage Array.

I was trying to see if there was a way to run the P2V from a different machine but I'm not seeing how to do that.

I also tried to do the P2V to write to an external USB Passport drive but that failed almost immediately.

Thoughts?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:56 pm

Welcome to StarWind Forum. Can I see what exactly error do you get?
Having the conversion logs for both scenarios will be helpful.