Converting standalone bootable disk

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bluespace

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:09 pm

I have a bootable disk from a PC that had a bios update problem and became a brick. Is there anyway to create a VM out of that disk on another machine and run it under Hyper V? Details of disk OS: Windows 10 64-bit. Two partitions - C: (OS) and D: (Data). Size of disk 500GB total. Tried using Starwind V2V and selected P2V option to successfully create a VHDX file. But when I try to attach that disk file to a new VM under Hyper_V and start the VM, all i get is a black screen with a blinking cursor on the left. V2V did not put out any error message while performing the conversion.

The disk was connected to the machine where V2V is installed over USB. Any tip would be greatly appreciated.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:24 am

Hi,

If disk bricked I am not sure if you can resurrect it with StarWind V2V (and, here is why it does not work if attached to VM). StarWind V2V Converter does not run any inline reparation; just as its name says: it converts not repairs. If there was corruption, it converts the disk as it does not run any consistency check.
What you can try is mounting that VHDX disk to the OS (not sure if that works as I assume the VHDX to be corrupted).
Run chkdsk and SFC scans. Try any disk repair tools afterward (just the first article on Google, I do not promote any tool at this point https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to ... ormatting/).

Let us know if that works.