Convert\Migrate KVM VM to VMware compatible one

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

sayanorav

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:17 am

Team,

Currently our VMs are hosted on Profitbricks (KVM virtulization) and we would like to migrate them to a VMware platform.
Since profitbricks cannot provide us the node access (as the environment is multi-tenant) and having only root access to our VMs, we are checking for the possible options to migrate the VMs.

So my question is:
1. Can we use StarWind V2V Converter in this case?
2. If so, how can we export it to get the VMs to VMware compatible format? so that we cab restore it in our VMware platform.

Thank you.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:09 am

I am afraid StarWind V2V Converter will not be your choice in this situation. But to tell you for sure whether it is or it isn't, more information is required:
1. Type of disk image file your VM uses. it needs to be supported by StarWind V2V: VMDK, VHDX/VHD, RAW IMG, QCOW2, and StarWind native IMG files; if this condition is met, then:
2. Possibility to download the VM disk image file to the PC where conversion process will run, as StarWind V2V is not yet able to connect to KVM hosts. Moreover, you say you have got no access to KVM.
Bentinho

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Hello, can someone please help me?
I have a virtual machine Linux Centos7 running in KVM virtualization, and i have made a copy of the virtual disk:

a) first entered to the directory cd /var/lib/libvirt/images/
b) qemu-img convert -f qcow2 Centos7.img -O raw /mnt/nfs/var/nfsshare/Centos7.tmp.img
c) Upload the image to my desktop and then i have used Starwind to convert the file (local file) on the local machine and point to a remote Esxi host

after the conversion the Virtual machine can't boot i can only see a black screen, i all ready tried to enter in rescue mode, but without sucess, could you please help me?

Regards
HB
Michael (staff)
Staff

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:09 pm

Hello HB,
Could you please share the log to check?
Thanks!