Converted Bitnami OVA can't find network if StarWind creates the VM

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

billallaire

Mon May 13, 2024 11:51 pm

I often work with Bitnami VM's for testing. If I extract the files from the OVA and use StarWind to export to local Hyper-V instance, the resulting VM boots, but can't find the network. If I convert the OVA disk file to Hyper-V format and attach it to a VM I create manually, it works fine. I really like the 1 step option to allow StarWind to create the Hyper-V VM, but don't know how to troubleshoot the problem. Initially, the resulting VM is not attached to a network device. After attaching it, it still doesn't find it. Thanks for any help you can offer.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue May 14, 2024 2:41 pm

Glad to see you again. Could you please check the VM settings? Namely, once converted, do the VM settings list the network adapter?
billallaire

Tue May 14, 2024 3:16 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

I have attached screen shots of the process. After conversion, the VM shows a network adapter but it is not connected, and if booted, the VM indicates it can't configure the network adapter.

If I shut it down and connect the network adapter, there is no change.

FYI this is Windows Server 2022 running on desktop hardware with a Realtek network adapter.

It's possible that the VM has VMware tools installed since VMWare owns Bitnami.
Attachments
Starwind Support.zip
(47.58 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue May 14, 2024 5:52 pm

Thanks for your update.
This implies that the conversion works as it should. The VM Settings Network IF not connected.PNG shows that the physical adapter is present. However not connected. To me, it looks like it does not find the correct Hyper-V switch. By correct, I mean one outlined in the VM config file.
billallaire

Tue May 14, 2024 11:12 pm

I agree it is very strange. When I use StarWind to convert the virtual disk file->file and build the VM myself attaching to that file, it works flawlessly. I will use that solution but I may look into the problem more when I have time.

Thanks again,
Bill
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed May 15, 2024 7:41 am

It works because the disk alone is "clueless" about the network adapter to use. It just stores the OS settings and data.
Or are you saying that it has the adapter connected out-of-box?