Issue to boot on VM (hyper-v) after successfull convert from a physical PC

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mosiko6

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a P2V solution that would easy my task, as we just purchased a new hyper-v server and I will have about 150 physical machines to convert into VM.

All VM run same OS, same version, pretty basics in general.

StarWind V2V seems to do everything that I need and makes the process easy but I am having some issue.

First of all, I use the option to convert a physical machine to a virtuel machine (hyper-v)
I select the option to convert the whole machine, by default and cannot be change it convert into gen 2, which seems fine anyway.
I tried a few combinaison, as it detects 3 partition, the C:, then most likely the boot and one for dell recovery partition. I did try to Restore only one, 2 or all 3 of them.

The convert end with success at 100% and I do see my VM on my hyper-v. But I get this issue, inaccessible boot device, I guess this is a classic. I did look online for a while by now, I did try a few things but I still could not make it working.

Hoping to hear from you guys, maybe I miss something.. For now I am making my test with another physical PC just in case.

Best regards,
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:15 pm

I select the option to convert the whole machine, by default and cannot be change it convert into gen 2, which seems fine anyway.
The Gen is picked automatically. you still can convert the VM volumes to the VHDX and create the VM yourselves out of those disks.

Did you try IDE controllers and change the boot option to BIOS or EFI?
mosiko6

Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 pm

I tried to convert the disk only to vhdx and manually create the VM, but have the same issue.

About this part:
Did you try IDE controllers and change the boot option to BIOS or EFI?

I do not seem to have this option available, how should I proceed for these changes?

Thank you,
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:44 pm

When you create a VM you can select the disk controller type and boot loader.
Check out more on Hyper-V VM settings https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v- ... -settings/.
mosiko6

Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:46 am

Does anyone else have another solution?

Thank you :)
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:14 am

Please let me know if attaching the disk to an IDE controller did anything.
mosiko6

Wed May 01, 2024 7:07 pm

Let me explore this solution again, because I did not had the option availablefor IDE controller.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed May 01, 2024 7:56 pm

Take your time. That's an option inside the VM settings.