what happens

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bbaldwin

Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:10 pm

When v2v does a coversion does it take original machine offline after the conversion or does the new converted machine stay offline. Just wondering how a conflict does nto occur
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:25 am

It does not take the source VM offline, but the VM is to be turned off until conversion is over. The new VM is to be turned on manually.
bbaldwin

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:27 pm

If the VM is not turned off before conversion would that cause the new VM not to boot? As that is what I a keep running into. I have tried to convert everyway possible but the new VM will not boot (the Hyper-V host is network isolated so no issue of network conflicts or name conflicts).
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 pm

If the VM is running, the conversion will not happen. Until booted both VMs are just files in different folders. There may be a conflict if the VM with the same name is running within the cluster.
bbaldwin

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:49 pm

I was never converting the full VM just the VMDK of a running machine. I never received an error during the conversion but the created VHDX would not boot. I would get inaccessible boot device. Not in a cluster either.

Hoping shutting down the VM will fix that issue. Otherwise I am at a lose because I have tried about every mode within the software possible.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:40 am

If you are having issues with booting the VMs, could you kindly describe the conversion scenario (i.e., source -> destination)? Seeing the error message you get will also be helpful.
bbaldwin

Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:19 pm

I am going for a ESXi 7.X to Hyper-V The Hyper-V server is NOT part of the same network as the ESXi server. Therefore I cannot convert directly from ESXi hypervisor to the Hyper-V hypervisor. So to get around this I was only trying to convert the VMDK file to Hyper-V. So here is my process. Keep in mind I am NOT shutting down the ESXi VM I am trying to convert. I select Remote VMWare ESXi. Connect to my ESXi server expand the VM and select the VMDK ONLY. Then Next. Now since i cannot go directly to the Hyper-V hypervisor, I select local File and then VHD/VHDX. Here I have tried both VHDX pre-allocated and VHD pre-allocated (VHD just gives a cursor and never goes anywhere). I have also tried with and without Active Windows Repairt Mode (both have the same outcome). Then select the the path and filename and hit convert. The conversion never has any errors but when I goto mount the VHDX file ( which I have tried as a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 VM) it does not boot. I will post pictures of the error shortly.
error.jpg
error.jpg (118.17 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:32 pm

This relates to drivers conflict.
Try steps from this thread https://forums.starwindsoftware.com/vie ... 119#p33119
bbaldwin

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:22 pm

These both seem to relate to issue with a VMWare VM not booting. I am having issue with the converted Hyper-V file not booting. I did look at the 'callback....' in the suggested link and it is set to EFI. So when i try to mount the converted VHDX file I use Gen 2 to create the hyper-v VM as, iirc, is for uefi. So are there any other suggestions?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:30 am

Did you try booting it with BIOS callback option?
bbaldwin

Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:32 pm

I am not sure what or where that is. I don't recall seeing that in any settings anywhere. However, I think I have narrowed it down on what is happening. Let me explain.

When I mount the coverted VHDX files in windows 10 it give me an error saying i don't have permission. Not a huge deal and it still seems to mount. I can go into Disk management and the mount shows up there how no drive letters are assigned. What stands out to me though, is the partition that would be the C drive say only 'Basic Data Partition'. It says nothing about boot, or page, or crash dump. So that is a little off to me.

Now let me go a bit further. When I add the converted VHDX file to a newly created VM. I do NOT get the Firmware option of 'Boot from File' that should be there as I know the image is an EFI. So again not sure what is happening there. But i think that is where the issue is coming from. However, I am working a test of creating the converted VHDX file when the source ESXi VM is powered off. As I had said before I had done all conversion with the Source powered on. So I am hoping having it powered off fixes this issue.
bbaldwin

Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:49 pm

****** UPDATE ******

So I have discovered that the ESXi VM MUST be off before a good Conversion can take place. Yes I realize it does say in the manual to do this, but surprised it messes with the EFI partitions the way that it does. I would be curious as to WHY this happens. And why and no errors are displaced during the conversion.

Needless to say I was able to get the machine converted that I was trying to.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:22 am

We are working on the mechanism allowing for online VM conversion. Stay tuned.
Previously, V2V did not allow converting an online VM at all.