VirtualSAN's free space checks?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

velis

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:49 pm

I just tried to add a new device to a target. A 2TB LSFS disk, 4KB sector size, no deduplication. However, the console won't let me. It says I need almost 9GB of free RAM to do so, but only have some 8.xx free.

The strange thing is that entire system consumes less than 8GB with two identical devices already being mounted. So why would adding a new device require so much RAM?

My guess: the check always calculates with deduplication, even if it's not enabled. To confirm, I tried to add a 4TB device and the requirements jumped to 19GB of RAM, so my guess seems to be correct.
The problem is that after this check, the wizard won't let me assign any caches for the new device. It doesn't trust my judgment at all :?

Then I went into logs (server events) and saw that there are warnings about running out of storage space on my storage volume, affecting both existing devices. Current available space on the volume in question is 1,77TB. Allocated storage for both existing devices is 1,02TB. This would mean that both existing devices filled up would exceed the available space, but I'm not really expecting my storage to deplete any time soon. Additional disks would be added to the array "long" before actual space would run out.

Also, these warnings are reported only when the server is starting up, which is presumably not very often. So, what's the significance of these warnings and how does StarWind decide that I'm running out of free space?
Michael (staff)
Staff

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:33 pm

Hello velis,
Since you are using LSFS devices I assume, the link to KB atible about LSFS below will answer all your questions:
https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... scription/
Please let us know if you need any clarifications.