Hyper-V SMI-S/Rapid Provisioning help?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bandersaurus

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:24 pm

Hey all,

I was able to configure SCVMM to manage LUN's using SMI-S, and have successfully created LUN's that are usable by each of my Hyper-V hosts. I'm currently interested in Hyper-V's Rapid Provisioning feature, which states that either cloning or snapshots needs to be supported by the SAN. When I try to enable Snapshots in the array in Hyper-V, it tells me this:

"The storage array StarWind Storage Array - Storage doesn't support Snapshot logical unit copy method."

Do I need to enable snapshots in Starwind somehow? Or could this simply be a licensing issue? I'm not even sure how to check whether we have that feature, but my colleague thinks it's included.

Thanks!

Brian
Vladislav (Staff)
Staff

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi Brian,

"- Storage doesn't support Snapshot logical unit copy method." - This error could be caused by VSS Hardware Provider incompatibility. We are currently working on improving and optimizing StarWind Hardware VSS Provider in order to allow extended support for MSFT Volume Shadow Copy Service. We will include improved Hardware VSS Provider in our upcoming build (ETA: January).