Cluster display display doesn't refresh when removing target

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

robnicholson

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:51 pm

See sshot-1.png for the initial configuration. Two SANs (SAN90 & SAN91) with Storage1 in each. The cluster display above shows the same storage.

Remove storage from Servers\SAN90 and the display updates to that shown in sshot-2.png - the views are out of sync as it's still showing the storage under the cluster.

So bug #1, the cluster display should update immediately when you remove a target from the server.

Okay, so accepting that the above is a sort-of-bug, I press the Refresh button and that didn't do anything. At this point (newbie as I am), I wondered if I had to remove the target from both the server and the cluster (as trying refresh didn't work) but that generates the error as shown in sshot-3.png.

So bug #2 - refresh doesn't work although if #1 was fixed, it would be moot.

And because refresh doesn't work, you get an error when you try and remove the target that actually has been removed but the console still allows you to remove it.

So bug #3 - the error message (invalid instance) is a bit vague "Target not found" would be better. But then again, if #1 and #2 were fixed, then this situation would never occur.

Cheers, Rob.
Attachments
sshot-1.png
sshot-1.png (38 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
sshot-2.png
sshot-2.png (43.28 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
sshot-3.png
sshot-3.png (24.87 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Sounds like a bug. Brought R&D ppl on it. Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

robnicholson

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 am

I was reluctant to call #3 a bug actually because it only occurs because the display hasn't refreshed after removing a target from the servers below. If refresh was instant or the refresh button actually worked then #3 couldn't exist.

I'm going to make a wild guess that the refresh delay is because the cluster side is a separate "thing" from the storage attached to the servers and there is therefore a natural delay in the cluster service spotting the server storage has changed.

My lab environment is particularly slow and was busy carrying out the initial sync of a mirrored volume so it's entirely feasible that this will be much less of an issue in production.

Cheers, Rob.
Alex (staff)
Staff

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:15 am

Rob, we have fixed this issue. Release build will be updated during the next week.
Thanks!
Best regards,
Alexey.