CVM “Initial Configuration” wizard

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

starbucky

Mon May 27, 2024 1:10 pm

Greetings,

Is there a way to initiate the “Initial Configuration” wizard through the web UI?

I have to manually set IPs and I think it removes the first run “Initial Configuration” wizard.
I've tried to manually configure each VSAN node using the web UI but I'm having issues and would like to be able follow the instructions.
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... ng-web-ui/

Thanks!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon May 27, 2024 2:59 pm

Thanks for your post and welcome to StarWind forum. Could you please explain what kind of issues you ran into?
starbucky

Mon May 27, 2024 3:59 pm

After starting the CVM, manually setting the IP using nmtui and then accessing the web UI I am presented with a login page rather than the “Initial Configuration” wizard as described here: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... cf04c5d2e2
There are configuration items that only seems to be available in the web UI through the wizards such as “Configure HA Networking”.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue May 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Greetings,

I guess that the wrong guide is used. Check this one out https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... chine-cvm/.
starbucky

Tue May 28, 2024 7:00 pm

Thanks for the response.
I gave up on the CVM for now and tried the Windows Application. I followed the instructions and successfully completed the installation, configuration and everything worked great but after rebooting the StarWindClusterService failed to start on both nodes with error:

<System>
<Provider Name="StarWindClusterService" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2024-05-27T18:07:36.4079194Z" />
<EventRecordID>1737073</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>S86-FCN1.Section86.ca</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Service cannot be started. System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.HttpListenerException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes() at System.Net.HttpListener.Start() at Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.OwinHttpListener.Start(HttpListener listener, Func`2 appFunc, IList`1 addresses, IDictionary`2 capabilities, Func`2 loggerFactory) at Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.OwinServerFactory.Create(Func`2 app, IDictionary`2 properties) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at Micros...</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Installation Guide:
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... rver-2016/
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue May 28, 2024 9:39 pm

You do not need StarWindCluster service for a Windows-based install. It is used for vVols only.
May I wonder why exactly did you give up no CVM?
starbucky

Thu May 30, 2024 12:48 pm

Good day Yaroslav,

The instructions didn't indicate which Windows Installer components/options to select or de-select or not install. The screenshot did not show all the selections below which included the Cluster Service, etc. I assume that installing the cluster service broke the install because after first reboot following installation the Management Console could no longer connect to the nodes "Starwind Service not found". As I said everything was running fine after initial installation before the reboot. I uninstalled the cluster service but that did not fix the issue.

I gave up on testing the CVM method because I had issues with Hyper-V virtual switches and default dynamic MAC assignment as I am using Server 2022 SET team as management network and the CVMs would not allow me to set and activate static IPs because of dynamic MACs. I set static MACs for the Vswitch and that seemed to work but it caused issues with cluster validation. Anyway I will try the CVM approach again but my evaluation license expires tomorrow and Inna has not replied to my request for a new trial license.

Here's what I'm testing on:
- 2x Windows Server Standard 2022 21H2 running on HP DL360 G11
- Each server has three dual port BCM 57414 10/25 GBE 2 port SFP28
- 2 ports attached to redundant switches for Management/Etc
- 2 ports DAC server-to-server for iSCSI/Heartbeat
- 2 ports DAC server-to-server for VSAN Sync

I will try to re-install CVM method if I can get another trial license.

Thanks!
starbucky

Thu May 30, 2024 12:48 pm

Good day Yaroslav,

The instructions didn't indicate which Windows Installer components/options to select or de-select or not install. The screenshot did not show all the selections below which included the Cluster Service, etc. I assume that installing the cluster service broke the install because after first reboot following installation the Management Console could no longer connect to the nodes "Starwind Service not found". As I said everything was running fine after initial installation before the reboot. I uninstalled the cluster service but that did not fix the issue.

I gave up on testing the CVM method because I had issues with Hyper-V virtual switches and default dynamic MAC assignment as I am using Server 2022 SET team as management network and the CVMs would not allow me to set and activate static IPs because of dynamic MACs. I set static MACs for the Vswitch and that seemed to work but it caused issues with cluster validation. Anyway I will try the CVM approach again but my evaluation license expires tomorrow and Inna has not replied to my request for a new trial license.

Here's what I'm testing on:
- 2x Windows Server Standard 2022 21H2 running on HP DL360 G11
- Each server has three dual port BCM 57414 10/25 GBE 2 port SFP28
- 2 ports attached to redundant switches for Management/Etc
- 2 ports DAC server-to-server for iSCSI/Heartbeat
- 2 ports DAC server-to-server for VSAN Sync

I will try to re-install CVM method if I can get another trial license.

Thanks!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu May 30, 2024 5:45 pm

That's very strange. Even if you perform a "FULL" installation of StarWind VSAN, it has never been a problem with the latest version.
Could it be that the IP address of the installation changed? Could you please see if StarWindService is running in your installation?
If you have a license with an expiration date, you are welcome to reach out to support via support@starwind.com. Support conditions are different from ones the paid users have, but we still can help you integrate and fine-tune the solution. Do not battle it alone, there is a team of techs who are happy to help.
Please drop us a line, to the support mailbox using this thread and 1167789 as your references.
starbucky

Thu May 30, 2024 6:43 pm

I may have changed some network settings in the StarWind Management Console after initial config but everything was fine after the changes. Yes the StarWind Service was still starting up but the console could not connect to either host (local or rep partner). I have since nuked that test setup and started with two fresh server installs to try using the CVM installation again. BTW I'm replacing an existing cluster I built a few years ago using HP StoreVirtual (LeftHand OS) which is, as you likely know, very similar to StarWind VSAN.

I don't have a license yet, just a trial. Since our procurement takes so long and I assumed I would have no issues with StarWind I went ahead and submitted a purchase request without extensive testing (which I should have done). I then asked our procurement group to hold off on paying for the license until I am confident that the product will work for us. I've been communicating with Inna regarding the purchase and obtaining a trial license and was expecting to hear back and get a new trial license and answers to a couple of questions we have regarding NFR dev license and Annual M&S but have yet to hear back... Perhaps they are not happy I put a hold on the purchase. If I don't hear back from Inna by tomorrow I will likely try to request another trial license using your web request.

Cheers!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu May 30, 2024 7:40 pm

With trial, you still can benefit from support and integration assistance in some form.
Feel free to email support if anything is needed. Just don't forget to use this thread and the reference.
Will be happy to help/bring you in contact with the team.