What is the "StarWind Cluster Service" for?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

wallewek

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:35 pm

What is the "StarWind Cluster Service"? Does it have any value in a hyper-converged Hyper-V based VSAN environment with Microsoft Failover clusters? Is it documented anywhere?

I'm getting warnings in Windows Server Manager that the StarWind Cluster Service has stopped. From what I can see, it may only be used in VMware environments. Perhaps it should be removed or disabled.

I really tried searching the StarWind forum, KB and documentation, but can't find anything useful. The fact that the server functionality here neither supports nor even prioritizes exact phrase searches, I just get swamped with irrelevant hits. I can't find anything useful, if it even exists.

-- Ken
------------------------
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they're not." -- Yogi Berra
Boris (staff)
Staff

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:24 pm

wallewek,

You are correct by saying StarWind Cluster Service is irrelevant to the Hyper-V based environment, as it is used for VMware (e.g., more on that is available here https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/s ... #more-5786). You can disable that service easily with no harm to your environment.
wallewek

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Thank you very much Boris, that's what I needed to know!

-- Ken
------------------------
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they're not." -- Yogi Berra
Boris (staff)
Staff

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:00 pm

You are welcome.