VVOL Datastore Becomes Inactive

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

selvarajj

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi All,

 I am new to StarWind Software. I just installed that software in my system and added that my system IP in my vcenter's Storage Adapters. Now, in VVOL Datastore creation page, it shows that target. But when I create datastore, it immediately becomes "inactive".

When I check that "StarWind" SAN drive in my System, no files are written on it. So I suspect, it failed to create Datastore mapping table in my System. Now how do I resolve it?

Please help me out.
Michael (staff)
Staff

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:47 pm

Hello Selvarajj,

VVOLS integration feature is currently under active development. Thus, unfortunately, documentation available on site is not really up to date.
At the moment we are preparing a new test build that should be deployed in a bit different way. We are going to update you with the most recent instructions as soon as possible (ETA: 1-2 days).
Please stay tuned and thank you for your interest in StarWind Virtual SAN!
Michael (staff)
Staff

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:57 am

Hello everyone.
Quick update - unfortunately, we have a delay with test build preparation. We actively work to complete this for you as soon as possible and expect it to be available tomorrow.
Thank you for your patience.
Vladislav (Staff)
Staff

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:27 am

Hello Selvarajj,

Here is a guidance for you. I am really sorry for the delay.

Preparing environment.

- All below steps must be performed on the host (physical server or VM) with the special “StarWind VVOL preview” build installed (you can find it in attachment). Please check “StarWind Cluster Service” in StarWind Install Wizard in order to install and enable necessary service.

- StarWind host should have at least one connection used for iSCSI traffic (you can use a single management interface for this purpose). We recommend to configure static IP for this interface.
Before starting the configuration process, please, discover the iSCSI interface on StarWind host in vCenter Console under Software iSCSI adapter properties.

- Create new target in StarWind Management Console and choose Target type: vvol

Configuration process.

Proceed to StarWind host and open command prompt (cmd.exe).

1. Creating new StarWind Cluster named "TestCluster":

Input:

Code: Select all

wmic /namespace:"\\root\starwind" path STARWIND_ClusterService call CreateCluster name="TestCluster" login="root" password="starwind"
You should see the following output upon successful command execution:

Executing (STARWIND_ClusterService)->CreateCluster()
Method execution successful.
Out Parameters:
instance of __PARAMETERS
{
        clusterUid = "05091e32-3fc7-4427-b584-af6d75617d56";
        ReturnValue = "Success";
};

2. In order to configure StarWind Cluster, we need to specify corresponding Storage Node (the place where actual data will be stored).

Configuring Storage Node and specifying IP address:

Input:

wmic /namespace:"\\root\starwind" path STARWIND_ClusterService call BindStorageNode name="TestStorage" ipAddress="192.168.1.230" login="root" password="starwind" port="3261"

Executing (STARWIND_ClusterService)->BindStorageNode()
Out Parameters:
instance of __PARAMETERS
{
        ReturnValue = "Success";
        storageNodeUid = "48CA2774-D996-4609-B71A-3A339B7162F4";
};
Copy and save “storageNodeUid” value as it will be required in the next steps. In our particular example this is: 48CA2774-D996-4609-B71A-3A339B7162F4

3. In order to create a StarWind datastore we need to configure a corresponding Storage Node Profile. This will allow us to create a datastore later that will match specified profile (default Creation Strategy is "Load All" which basically means that Storage Node Profile will include all available StorageNode resources).

Input:

wmic /namespace:"\\root\starwind" path STARWIND_ClusterService call CreateStorageNodeProfile storageNodeUid="48CA2774-D996-4609-B71A-3A339B7162F4" creationStrategy="LoadAll"

Executing (STARWIND_ClusterService)->CreateStorageNodeProfile()
Out Parameters:
instance of __PARAMETERS
{
        ReturnValue = "Success";
        storageNodeProfileUid = "ebbb88cd-1b9f-48f1-9661-00c226e23d7c";
};
Copy and save “storageNodeProfileUid” value as it will be required in the next steps. In our example this is: ebbb88cd-1b9f-48f1-9661-00c226e23d7c

4. Now we can create a StarWind Datastore. Datastore is a container where virtual volumes will reside. Datastores are used for grouping virtual volumes according to their certain properties, their belonging and purpose.

In order to create a Datastore, we need to specify an arbitrary Datastore name, its size, list of allowed Capability and Storage Node Profiles. Right now we only support the default Capability Profile. It has a static UID: 4E19F23A-0A84-486C-A516-DF96140C7000
In our example we have named the new Datastore as “TestDatastore” and specified the size of 12000 Megabytes.

Input:

wmic /namespace:"\\root\starwind" path STARWIND_ClusterService call CreateDatastore name="TestDatastore" sizeInMb="12000" storageNodeProfileUid="ebbb88cd-1b9f-48f1-9661-00c226e23d7c" capabilityProfileUid="4E19F23A-0A84-486C-A516-DF96140C7000"

Executing (STARWIND_ClusterService)->CreateDatastore()
Out Parameters:
instance of __PARAMETERS
{
        datastoreUid = "2159d17f-481f-459f-9674-86555cc17650";
        ReturnValue = "Success";
};
That’s it. Now after StarWind Cluster is configured and StarWind Datastore is created, we can proceed to the vSphere Web Client and add StarWind Storage Provider.

1. Choose your vCenter Server in the Navigator sidebar.

2. Proceed to the “Manage” tab.

3. Choose “Storage Providers” sub-tab.

4. Press green cross button in order to register new Storage Provider.

5. Go back to the StarWind host and use the following command in cmd.exe:

wmic -namespace:\\root\starwind path STARWIND_ClusterService call GetVASAInfo

Executing (STARWIND_ClusterService)->GetVASAInfo()
Out Parameters:
instance of __PARAMETERS
{
        ReturnValue = "Success";
        serverCertificateHash = "6853A18C876EE478E5C9F57957A96E17E3EBD91E";
        VASAUrl = "https://*YOUR IP ADDRESS*:9991/vasa";
};
Copy and save “VASAUrl” value.
6. Go back to the “New Storage Provider” Wizard in vSphere Web Client.

7. Enter the name of the new Storage Provider.

8. Paste “VASA Url” value obtained in previous steps.

9. Specify the credentials:

User name: root
Password: starwind

10. If all previous steps were completed successfully, you should see the newly added storage provider in the “Storage Provider / Storage System” list.

Now you can proceed to “Related Objects” - “Datastores” on ESXi host where you have discovered StarWind iSCSI target and create a new VVOL Datastore.

That's it. I hope this guidance will be helpful for you :)
Attachments
StarWind_8.0_test_20160808.rar
VVOL Test Build
(36.8 MiB) Downloaded 421 times