Active Active Lun Access

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

gharding

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:18 pm

HI,

Can anyone confirm to me whether in the active active setup (2 Node HA) when accessing a LUN (volume) the data is read and written to both storage nodes effectively doubling the performance.

The reason I ask that we are looking at moving away from Open-E Active Active setup as the Lun (Volumes) iare actually in an Active-Passive mode which is not what I expect.

Regards

Gavin
robnicholson

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Not 100% sure here but I believe the answer is yes and no. Yes to reading as this will round-robin bounce using MPIO iSCSI between the two nodes. No to writing as, with synchronous replication, the two nodes have to be kept identical so a write operation goes something like this:

BEGIN
Write to node #1 via iSCSI MPIO
Replicate to node #2 within StarWind over replication network
Acknowledge the write
END

So there is actually a performance overhead with writes and HA which is why you need to ensure the replication network is as fast as possible (10GbE point to point) and dedicated.

However, with StarWind v8, the performance benefits of the new logging file system plus secondary caching will offset this.

Even if you have a big write-back cache in front of the spinning tin, the same replication has to be carried out from the two caches. Consider the situation where block #565689 is written to node #1 and this goes into the write-back cache. If another iSCSI initiator tried to read the same block from node #2 before replication, it would get bad data.

I suppose you could code around this so that node #2 is somehow informed that block #565689 is stale but this still requires communication across the network and it might be faster to just transfer the actual block.

But I'm guessing ;-) Although I did think as you did at first before StarWind mentioned the above.

Cheers, Rob.
gharding

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks for the reply Rob

Gavin
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Run Windows Performance Monitor (one of the biggest "+" of StarWind - you use known OS you fully control) and see accesses to files behind emulated iSCSI volumes. You'll see both reads and writes. With Active-Passive access you'd see only reads targeted to ONE host and synchronization writes from the partner node.

Also run Intel I/O Meter to see do you have at least reads boost with added new node. If you don't and single-controller version works like dual-controller one then it's not Active-Active but rather is Active-Failover or whatever.
gharding wrote:HI,

Can anyone confirm to me whether in the active active setup (2 Node HA) when accessing a LUN (volume) the data is read and written to both storage nodes effectively doubling the performance.

The reason I ask that we are looking at moving away from Open-E Active Active setup as the Lun (Volumes) iare actually in an Active-Passive mode which is not what I expect.

Regards

Gavin
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software