How to deaktivate L2 Cache

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

ltb76

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi,

How do I deactivate L2 cache on an existing published image?
Is it just a matter of removing the "<caching> </caching>" section of the swdsk file?
And how do I make sure that all data is flushed?

Thank you in advance,

Lasse
robnicholson

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Ohh, you're brave! ;-) True it's just an XML file but personally I'd remove the target & device and re-create using an existing device. Chances are editing the XML will end up at the same place. Of course, you'll have to disconnect any iSCSI targets first.

I believe being able to make edits like this via the GUI are on the roadmap. Hopefully live but that's a challenge in itself.

Cheers, Rob.
ltb76

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:32 pm

robnicholson wrote:Ohh, you're brave! ;-) True it's just an XML file but personally I'd remove the target & device and re-create using an existing device. Chances are editing the XML will end up at the same place. Of course, you'll have to disconnect any iSCSI targets first.

I believe being able to make edits like this via the GUI are on the roadmap. Hopefully live but that's a challenge in itself.

Cheers, Rob.
That was my initial thought, but going the "re-create" route requires the L2 Cache disk to be mapped, and that way I will not get rid of it, so that is a no go.
In the help file they state you can change the size by shutting down the service and then change the size in the swdsk file, but they do not mention how I get rid of it entirely :(
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi!
Looks like your question has been answered. Please let me know if you did what you wanted successfully.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com